10.19.2004

Not much to say

So why am I writing?

Because I can, that's why.

It has been simply wretched spending the last week or so unable to make any major contributions to the blogosphere. Of course, I realize my idea of a major contribution equates to another person's idea of literary diarrhea, but as I heard someone say tonight (and, of course, many times before), one man's trash is another man's treasure.

So, my contribution.

First:
Last week I had the pleasant surprise of stumbling upon an old friend thanks to every Oregonians favorite source for fresh reading material,
ORBlogs. This site not only offers you access to most of the more happening blogs based in (or about) Oregon, but also (if the bloggers are crafty enough) advises you when a new post is up.

I am crafty enough, so it'll note this drivel soon enough.

Anyway, I was looking at ORBlogs, begrudgingly noting my only contributions were short and glib, when I noted that a familiar name was on the screen.

Scott Hanselman. His blog is
here. A quick perusal will show Scott to be the consummate nerd. Which isn't an insult. He is the consummate nerd, and I've always admired him for it.

Scott and I met back in the fifth grade at good ol' Glenhaven Middle School, which (as I've
previously noted) is now a pile of ash. He was a nerd then, and so was I.

As a note, I'll now admit, begrudgingly, to still being a nerd. Hence the blogging. This by no means gives the reader license to call me a nerd to my face.

Scott and I had classes together, and spent time admiring eachother's Timex
DataBank watches and devising chess clubs for our school. We were the audiovisual club. We could run a Dukane projector like noone's business. We were Mathletes, and we were proud.

But, alas, as time often does, we were parted by high school and our future callings. As far as I can reckon, Scott now makes his millions doing computer junk, which is what I always figured he'd do. He is, at the young age of 30, already "20% retired" (as he told me in an e-mail) and spends his time globe-trotting and goofing off on his PC (which surprises me, because I always figured he'd end up a Mac guy).

We're going to lunch soon. It'll be interesting to see how time has changed him. I suppose it's interesting to see how time has changed me. Too bad I'm blind to that.

Second:
Hmm...don't remember what second was. So, free association. Hozay, the technophiliac who needs to have cooler toys than the rest of us, is holding off on the new Honda Element for at least a week. Which is not to say he's not getting one. Believe me, he will. If JLowe can do it, so can Hozay. My friend BT (not the Yakima one) just got back from Europe. He was gone for two weeks, which tops my being gone for one-and-a-half. Bastard. He saw France and Italy, which tops my just-Italy trip. Bastard.
JLowe's Blog is in full effect (I see that my most recent visit, to again grab his address, brings the grand total to 14 -- wonder how many of those are me...). Topics so far? Books, contact lenses, and JLowe's frustrated political aspirations. Though many might find it dull, it's fun to see him branching out. Drop him a compliment, lest he suffer the behavioral principle of extinction.

I've gone from Earthlink to Qwest for my ISP. Earthlink was great, except that they didn't reach my new residence (I suppose they probably do, but I learned I'd have to go through some God-awful long wait, and that just would suck way too much) and, besides, I'm getting Qwest for a little less than half the price. The trade-off is that I chose the slow Qwest DSL, and I've noticed that on sites where there are pictures, the lag is annoyingly apparent. However, once I get used to the low-tech, I suppose I won't even notice anymore. At least it beats the modem connection I was using to do my BlueOregon debate that I referenced the other day (where I didn't get the last word, but I'm convinced I took the high road). That was unbearably slow, which just added to the lump in my gut as I battled for a more hospitable world.

Well, it's late and I have exciting, top-secret work stuff tomorrow morning (maybe I'll share some after-the-fact--depends on how it turns out), so I'm Audi Quatro, G-Money. But, before I go, in recognition of all my phat homeez, here's where to go to
find out your pimp name.

Here's mine:

ghetto pimp!
Congratulations! Your pimp name is.... Gold Teefus!!

You like to think of yourself as "The People's Pimp". You don't have a big head, just a lot of money and a lot of neighborhood hoes to keep track of. B
rought to you by
Quizilla

That's all for now, my playaz.

Catch ya later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rusty said...

And, no, I didn't have to go looking for that picture. They provided it to me, free of charge. How lucky can a boy be? Think I'm gonna hurl...

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.