7.19.2004

The Anchorman is funny!

But we'll get to that in a minute.

I continue to wonder at the lack of quality Japanese beer. I don't want you to think I'm beer-centric or anything, but this seems to be the topic that won't die. After last week's discovery that Kirin is nothing more than fancy Budweiser (see the July 13th "Hit & Run" article), I've been fairly depressed.

Tonight JLowe and I are both wifeless, so we arranged to engage in a night of debauchery and loose living (translation: sushi and a movie). So, off to Koji's for some grub. Now, after last week's debacle, I decided to read the menu carefully before selecting my sushi chaser. Sure 'nuff, Kirin is listed as a Japanese beer. So, I should have taken it with a grain of salt when I picked Sapporo off the same menu.

Now, you have to be a wily person to catch the intricacies of beer importing. It's not enough to simply read the bottle the beer comes in ("Imported") as well as the menu ("Japanese"). Doing this might actually lead you to believe that the beer is from Japan. In fact, going to the Sapporo USA website
, you can read the claim that "Our Business Enterprise includes. . .importing Sapporo Beer to the U.S. from Sapporo Breweries, Ltd., Japan." But I've dug deeper. Although it isn't the easiest bit of info to find (unless you read the bottom of the bottle...), Sapporo is actually brewed in Canada.

If you're like me, you don't consider bringing something to the USA from Canada "importing". You consider it manifest destiny to have here what was created there, as they are just one step away from being our 51st state
.

But I suppose it's technically accurate to say Sapporo is imported. Much like it may be technically accurate to say it's glorified Molson's Ice. Once again I've been disillusioned.

Anyways, other than the disappointment offered by the suds, dinner was great.

After dinner, we took in Anchorman
, starring the great Will "You Don't Even Blink, Do Ya?" Ferrell. I wasn't expecting a great deal, based on the reviews I've heard for this movie. Much as Mrs. Bosco said last week, though (as we were discussing how funny Dodgeball was), going in with low expectations was the key. Now, JLowe and I disagree about this, but I thought Anchorman was the funniest film I've seen all year (and Dodgeball had me in tears). Yes, it was just that good. Breakout performance of the film? Good question. Although Christina Applegate was a pleasant surprise (I mean, really, who isn't pleasantly surprised to see Christina Applegate on the screen, even if you know she's going to be there), the brief cameo by Tim Robbins was pretty good in my book. Love him or hate him when he's spouting off for one of his causes, the guy is always money on screen.

Anyway, with the wife gone, I've got some quality time to spend with Playstation, who's been feeling neglected of late, what with my recent dalliance with the X-box and all. Playstation was pretty angry, but I sent it some flowers and I slipped it a mickey, so I expect I can play most any game I want on it tonight with a minimum of resistance. So, away I go. But first, as promised,

THE LINKS!

I'm Tommy DeVito from GoodFellas


Needless Ultra-Violence


Imagine waking up from this surgery...


Dave Barry, funny guy


Well, that's enough for now. As always,

Catch ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.