7.09.2004

OUCH! But it hurts so good...

Okay, so last night JLowe and I had the hunger, the type that can only be soothed by tasty, tasty brisket. So, we grabbed our respective better-halves and went to what is rapidly emerging as our favorite nosh-pit, Big Daddy's. What ensued was hilarity.

BD's has on their menu (among other things) Buffalo Wings, with your option of spiciness. JLowe and I are not wing amateurs (yeah, the spelling looked weird to me, too, but I checked it here.
We've had BD's wings at least twice now, and from the start we've taken them as hot as they'll come. Now, the first time we asked for them at maximum heat, the waitress looked at us like we were morons. "You sure," she asked, giving us the eye that said "no, really, you don't mean it, right?" "Yup" we said in unison, not knowing what we were getting into. Turns out, BD means hot when he says it, and we found out that first night that BD wanted us dead. He puts the sweet, sweet habanero (ground) into his hot hot sauce, and that first day we thought we might burst into flames. But we lived, and it became a badge of honor. The next time we took friends to BD's, we ordered the hot hot wings and what we got was a little disappointing, compared to our prior experience. Our wuss friend Mr. 12 was even able to down a couple, so we know BD was going easy on us, not recognizing us for the mighty mighty fellows we are.

Anyway, last night we ordered 'em again. The nice waitress asked us how hot, and JLowe said "as hot as you can make them." He then taunted her by saying "we're not afraid to cry." BD was listening, because he took this as a challenge. What was produced was a batch of extra-meaty wings with a thick brown paste on them. The Missus' eyes watered as the plate approached, which should have warned me of what was coming. "Hmm," I mused aloud, "these look strange." Then I grabbed one and went at it with fury, believing I might be in for another disappointment. Nibble number 1 went down smooth, but mid-bite on nibble number 2, I noticed something strange. My face was actually sliding off of my head. Kinda like in Indiana Jones, when they open that ark, except not so stylized. I broke into a fit of loud, uncontrollable hiccups ("Stop that," said The Missus, "people are watching and laughing"). Oh, BD, you evil man. After dinner, after drinking 2 glasses of soda and a glass of water,after going to the restroom to flush my eyes and hands and to ponder what had just happened to me, I went to the counter to pay. There, another patron said "did you like your wings?" "Yeah" I said with false bravado. "I saw BD behind the counter adding some extra stuff to them. He said it was more habanero. It was fun watching your face turn red." "Thanks," I said, and knew that BD had won this battle.

So, go to BD's when you get a chance and order the wings. But mind your P's and BBQ's, because as I've learned, hubris towards the BD will result in his unholy wrath...

Other good BBQ in P-town:
Cannon's Rib Express -
Probably a tie in our book for best in town. The ribs are awesome, and JLowe says the brisket's better (they're always out when I go). However, The Missus prefers BD's.
Clay's Smokehouse -
Very generous portions, but wasn't overly impressed. Good, but not what I expected based on word-of-mouth.

Housekeeping
So, I don't yet know how to allow comments on here. I'm still learning, folks. However, I've added a mail link below. If you want to make a comment, click there. It'll send me an e-mail and, if I like your comment, I'll post it. Sure, democracy rocks, but so does critical review.

Catch ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.