8.16.2004

And the winners (and the losers) are...

So, exciting stuff happening (okay, not really, but I have to write about something).

First, I was finally able to sample the brisket at
Cannon's, which has been an ambition of mine for some time. Since the days of the olde Le Blogue at Earthlink, I've shared my joy for Portland's finest cuisine.

Now, for those who don't remember, I spent a whole evening discussing the joys of Portland Barbecue, and I ended up opining that the best of the best, to my knowledge, was Big Daddy's, an upstart on Hawthorne.

Actually, I opined that Big Daddy's was about a tie with Cannon's.

So, now, I'm ready to finish my damned opining and be done with conjecture.

Cannon's is very good. Extremely good, in fact. Cannon's re-opened my mind to barbecue, and for that I'll always be thankful.

It wasn't an easy job.

My dad, as I've mentioned in the past, died at the too young age of 39, while I was still in high school. When he died, my dad had a known cholesterol issue, but what none of us were aware of was just how bad his issue was. As he died, on March 25th 1991, just short of his 40th birthday, my father had a cholesterol level that was the ungodly-high number of 498.

That, for those of you who aren't in the know, is fairly high.

So, post-haste, my mom took me to a doctor to see what my cholesterol looked like. At the age of 17, I already had a cholesterol level in the high 190's, and at that point, what with the unforeseen death of my father and all, we ended up aggressively pursuing ways to reduce my risk of teenage death.

First was the nutritionist. My senior year, my mom put me on a bean and crap diet that did little for my happiness level but was supposed to be very good for me. Foods could not taste good. Good food equalled death, so if it didn't require me using Bean-o to remain socially acceptable, then I was not supposed to eat it.

We soon learned that diet would not control my cholesterol, as it climbed into the 200's during my senior year in high school. So, since then, I've been on meds and a very strict diet.

Here's the thing. With Zocor and no red meat, my cholesterol never got below 215-ish. I was told that I would never have a sub-200 cholesterol again.

But no meat meant too many starches, and I was getting fat.

My wife found a book one day called Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type, and that was when my life became enjoyable.

I have an O blood type. According to the pseudo-scientist who wrote this drivel, type-O's are meat lovers and need meat to live healthy lives.

That was all I needed to hear. I embraced the diet, because it told me less starch and more meat was good (without being an Atkins Diet, which I equate with alchemy for all its wisdom and truth).

So, I started eating red meat again. And working out. Ended up losing 30 pounds and getting back to 197 for my cholesterol level, so I guess it worked out okay.

Which brings us back to barbecue. I had spent several years thinking barbecue was the devil, but with my new diet I was actually required to eat more meat. So, I went to Cannon's. And what I had was heaven.

That's why I was holding out great hopes for Cannon's.

And that's why it pains me to tell you that, for my money, Big Daddy's can't be beat. Except, maybe, by Yam Yam's, which I still have to try. And Campbell's. But, don't worry, I'll widen my perspective and report back accordingly.

Now, sadly, to report the loser for the night.

You'll be glad to hear that there will be no more Hit & Run reports, as our team was vanquished tonight in the play-offs by the dreadful Clackamas County Attorneys squad.

S.Gray, as always, was too intense. BD, the man of great sound effects, continued to have a weenie arm. Bosco and I roved the outfield fearlessly, and I believe I will be nominated for Player of the Game honors for a tremendous running catch I made for a put-out, but we just didn't have the offense to handle our able opposition.

Note: Again, tonight's beer was Coor's. I lobbied for PBR, but noone sees the big picture quite like I do.

So, where does that leave me? With more time to bother you, that's where. And, oh, what fun we'll have.

Anyway, here are some LINKS to keep you warm:

Been a while since I checked in at Brain Terminal. I enjoy this guy's work.

Meet Packbot, which is helping fight our war in Iraq. I saw an article today about how they can now carry rifles (but I can't find it). Next up: Terminator 4.

Don't open this at work. It isn't naughty; you won't get any done.

Last, but not least, Jack Bogdanski put me on his list of "Hap'nin' Guys", which must mean I've hit the bigs. Thanks, Jack. Again, good to have you back.

Anyway, I'm off. However, I'll

Catch ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.