8.19.2004

Got it!

So, at long last, the wait is over.

As you know if you watch this blogue at all, I've been house hunting. And it has sucked.

My wife found our dream home about 2 weeks ago. At the time, I was out of town, and it turned out she found it a few hours too late. Too bad for us.

So the other day she went on a house hunt, having the day off, and was finding that life, like gravity, is a harsh mistress. Eventually, however, the worm turned and fortune smiled its hideous face on us. And fortune was looking much better, for once, like that chick at the bar looks after you've had enough Kona Beer. The Missus called me to let me know that she'd found our house, and that I needed to come see it as soon as possible. She gave me the address, and I drove up to see this:


Posted by Hello

Looks small, huh?

In I went, and immediately saw that the inside appeared to match the outside. Small living room, no dining room, small kitchen, okay-sized bedrooms.

I hated it.

"But wait," The Missus said, "you need to see the basement."

She was right.

For the basement was fully finished, carpeted, walled, and all that jazz. And it will make a fantastic living room and office.

So what we had was a home with a formal living room, a real living room, a spare room that wouldn't have to be an office, and a nicely landscaped backyard (with an apple tree) to boot. The garage is also large and has storage space, and there's a tool shed in back. No longer too small, it was feeling just right.

So, we launched off to our agent's office to make a bid. We called our mortgage broker to make sure all was kosher financially. And we made a bid.

Now, we didn't bid full price. We couldn't. We're only approved for so much, and the house was listed for about $5000 more. So, we were only a bit surprised to see a counter-offer asking for full price (our offer had some other stuff in it which made our total bid about $9000 less than the seller was asking) but conceding to the rest of our wishes. We couldn't cut it, so we decided to split the difference.

Well, tonight, we got the good news. We're in. In like Flynn. And pleased as punch. And so on.

That's all for the moment. I'm assured that the rest of the home buying process is daunting, but, still, I am well on my way to being a land baron.

Anyway, I know my 3 readers were pulling for me, so thanks. You're all invited for the housewarming. See you there in October.

Catch ya later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack Bog said...

Congratulations! Home ownership has its up's and down's, but they're mostly up's.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Ownership? I think the bank'll know more about that than me. However, I'm still waiting for the fat lady to sing before I claim total victory.

But thanks, I appreciate the well-wishes!

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.