3.10.2005

Don't wanna work today

I suppose I join the rest of the world in having days where I don’t want to work. Sadly, today is one of my more demanding ones, so the option to simply ignore my work, although never really present, is absolutely absent today.

This week I’ve been suffering a case of the blah’s. I’m tired from waking up too early to deal with my dog (imagine how I’ll feel whenever I get around to having a kid). My stomach has been disagreeing with me for the last day or so (nothing major, just a kind of blah feeling down there as well). The weather has been nice outside, and my office doesn’t even have a window. And, to top it all off, I’ve been tasked to do some legal writing to assist one of my superiors.

I’ve noted in the past that I love writing, and that I found in working at the DA’s office in Salem that legal writing was something I enjoyed. Obviously, when I wrote that I hadn’t actually done any legal writing for awhile. I’ve been working on the current project for the last two weeks. It involves discussion of a variety of constitutional and statutory issues, analysis of a variety of cases, and in the end it numbs my mind in its complexity. Which is not to say I can’t handle it. It just requires focus, and solitude, and my job involves too many people coming into my office to ask questions to provide the quiet that I need.

It didn’t help that, as I took my computer home last night to work on the writing, I had forgotten about an after-work meeting that took up an hour of writing time, then I had dinner with my mother-in-law (lovely chicken and dumplings…scrumptious!), then I had to go home and walk the dog, then “Alias” was on, and then I was too tired to write and decided to go to bed instead. I got to work early today to meet my 5pm deadline, and just e-mailed off my last bit of work-product 15 minutes ago.

And, now, I have 20 minutes to finish preparing my in-service class I’m teaching to the local boys and girls in blue regarding how the courts have changed the legal landscape in the last year and a half. After that, I’ll finally get my lunch break, go give my dog her medicine, and come back to see if my superior has requested any modifications to my work. Which he won’t, because when I apply myself, I’m pretty good.

On a separate tangent, query for my readers: have you used ticketmaster.com to buy tickets for a concert that was sure to sell-out quickly, and if so, did you find it to work better than getting in line at a store? I’m trying to decide how best to address my U2 needs on Saturday. By the way, the infamous Joe may come up for the concert, if he can score tickets, and may bring Brother Danielle with him. That should be a treat.

Anyway, need to go over my outline again before class. Hope you’re focusing better today than I am. Why does it have to be so nice outside?

Catch ya later.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ticketmaster online is the most frustrating way to buy tickets unless you're at work an on a t1 connection. be prepared to click and refresh and repeat...

i suggest finding a ticketmaster in some well hidden store and wait in line there. better yet, try both with the help of the missus or your friends.

oh and sometimes there's a special pre-sale that requires a password that will guarantee you get tickets. it's usually through the group's website or the website of whatever radio station is sponsoring the concert.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not buy them online unless you are a member of the fan club.

I was a member of the Kenny Chesney fan club (you can laugh, but he is great in concert) - and I scored good tickets both times buying them through his site.

I used a radio station "password" for a presale for Aerosmith and got horrible, horrible tickets.

The fan club thing is usually a sure bet for good tickets because there is always a section up front reserved for fan club members.

Other than that, online is a crap-shoot because you don't know what other tickets are available.

Are these the best tickets I can get? If they are and I try to get better ones, I can't go back and get these...If you go wait in line and talk to a person at a computer they can show you what they have left and you can choose, provided you do it quickly.

If you want good tickets - spend the time and STAND IN LINE.

But what do I know - I just tipped a woman for hacking me off last night.

Denise
And So It Goes

3:00 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

I really don't care what tickets I get, as long as they're in the stadium. My original idea was to go to a vendor in Salem, which is what I did last time, but my friend Joe pointed out that if there is a long line there, I could get screwed through the lottery system.

The U2 pre-sale is a no-go. I'd have to pay a 40 subscription fee to their website, and as a new sign-up, I still wouldn't get any love in deference to their long-standing members.

Those things stated, is the computer still a bad idea? If I was able to access a T1 or cable internet line?

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.