6.22.2005

Bach-ing it

As happens from time to time, my wife is out of town on assignment for a few days, which leaves me to live the bachelor life. How do I celebrate?

1) See movies.
Actually, before she left, we went and saw Batman Begins. I loved that movie, more even than the newest Star Wars flick, and highly recommend it.

Last night, I went and saw The Longest Yard with JLowe and Mr. Schnacky. As a die-hard Adam Sandler fan, I went in despite reading reviews that should have left me wondering. I paid my coin, I sat down, and spent the next two hours sorta enjoying myself while silently dinging the film for each moment it didn't hold its weight in comparison to the original. Schnack, who hadn't seen the original (he's a youngster at 24) and JLowe, who hates most sports, enjoyed it more for having no understanding of just how it underperformed.

It was entertaining to see a who's-who of washed up wrestlers and ESPN TV personalities doing their thing.

I went home and put in Elektra, which arrived from Netflix in the mail. Of course, it had been a long day, I was sipping a cold one, my dog was laying on me chewing a dead cow's hoof, and between these things and the boring-ness of the film, I opted to fall asleep instead of trying to watch it all.

Tonight, it's the rest of Elektra and The Terminal with Tom Hanks, some left-overs, and more petting the dog.

2) Taking pictures
With my new Father's Day present, I'm always looking for a shot to take. And, thanks to a suggestion from my friend Mak, I've got a SD card coming that will hold all I want to point and shoot. On the topic of taking pictures, the Metafilter today pointed me to this site. Who wants to join in putting Portland on the map?

3) Swinging the clubs
Back in college, before I realized I'd be going to law school, I decided to take golf classes, first because my friends were and it was easy college credit, and second because I figured I'd want, some day, to know how to hit a golf ball. Now that I'm a lawyer, some people assume that I must golf all the time. In actuality, I haven't golfed in two years, and two years ago I only golfed twice.

I have a wedding coming up that I'm in. It's in Pocatello, Idaho, which is somewhere near Nowhereville. I have to be there for three days (wedding rehearsal is Thursday night and wedding itself is on Saturday), which means that there's a day in the middle during which the groom is demanding his party go golfing. Of course, having not swung the sticks in two years, I'm not even confident in my ability to make contact with the ball, let alone drive it any sort of distance in any sort of straight line. So, tonight I'll be at the driving range. Look for the bald guy cussing and throwing clubs. Look for the shocked and dismayed guy next to him. I'll be the bald guy. The dismayed guy will be JLowe, upset that I just destroyed his driver.

4) Housework
No bachelor time can go by without paying for it with some sweat equity. Before The Missus gets back, I expect to clean the kitchen, mow the lawn, wash the dishes, do some laundry, and bathe the dog. Oh, joy!

Anyway, back to work. Just thought I'd check in. If anyone has any thoughts on Mr. and Mrs. Smith, let me know because The Missus wants to see it when she gets back.

Catch ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.