7.04.2005

I know, I know

No recent posts can make people crabby. My bad.

What've I been up to? Mostly hanging out with my wife and my dog.

Ollie, my doberman, is now about 9 months old. Once upon a time, she looked like this:

Old-school Ollie

Sadly, that's not the case anymore. I've tried getting her to sit snugly in my lap like she once did, but now she's a bit too big. Exhibit 1:

Towering Ollie

Anywho, this week, with fine weather and all, has provided several opportunities for me and my puppy to hang out.

The other day, we went to the nearby dog park. Ollie doesn't get off the leash much, as of yet, because I'm still getting her to the point where I can trust her to behave. However, no other dogs were around while we were walking around the park, so I cut her loose.

Freedom!!!

That was fun. She ran around free, and I sat on the ground. Eventually, she pooped herself out with the running, and she came over and flopped on the ground next to me. I was actually pretty proud of her.

Of course, behaving at an empty dog park is one thing. A few days ago, JLowe and his wife invited us over to barbecue some food up with them. Of course, we agreed. However, I decided to see if I could push the limits. JLowe is currently dog-sitting for his sister, so he's in possession of
four glorious pugs right now. Ollie's practiced with as many as two dogs at a time; now, it was time to try her out with four.

JLowe, undaunted by courageous thoughts, essentially told me to bring it on. So, Ollie came over.

Unfortunately, with the blur of dogs running around chasing eachother, I don't have any pictures of the five of them to show you. The closest I have is JLowe petting Ollie as he chatted on his cell phone (I swear this isn't what it looks like...)

JLowe and Ollie, getting friendly

Last night (er, the 2nd, since it's now still night, but also morning...whatever), The Missus and I had the Schnack clan over. They have a new puppy, Hoss, who's a lab of some sort. Still really young, but boy, is he getting big. Anyway, we had them come over, and they brought Hoss. Thanks to the fun they had, not only did Ollie hang out in the back yard for 4 hours, locked out of the house, without a single complaint, but she was so tuckered out when he left that she flopped over and fell soundly asleep for the whole evening.

Because of this, of course, we're thinking of getting a new dog. Here's the picture of the one we're looking at:

Ollie's future brother?

He's a rottweiler/doberman mix, currently four months old. The good thing about getting him is another dog will probably help Ollie mellow out, and at least will keep her company so that, hopefully, she isn't so needy. The bad thing is that, with a kid coming, a new dog may not be the best idea. Opinions, my trusted readers?

Anyway, this last picture is cute. As I got home from church this morning, I saw Ollie sitting in the window, on the back of the couch, a la Garfield. She unperched before I could take the picture, but I still got a shot of her looking longingly out the window. This is, honestly, my favorite part about getting home (on the days when I get home before my wife)...

Finally, you're home!

For all of her lunacy, I absolutely love my dog.

Catch ya later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The good thing about getting him is another dog will probably help Ollie mellow out

That is kind of true. They will play with each other and wear each other out but eventually they'll get bored with each other and look to you to keep them BOTH entertained!

and at least will keep her company so that, hopefully, she isn't so needy.

If Ollie has separation anxiety, it will definitely help.

Some other things to consider:
*If you want to go on vacation, it's easier to get friends/family to take care of one dog instead of two.
*Two dogs = twice the POOP!
*Two dogs = twice the hair/dirt
*Two dogs = twice the farting!
*Two dogs = twice the barking/howling/going crazy (they will egg each other on)

That's just a partial list.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.