11.08.2004

TV and other transmissions

So, where was I?

Oh, yeah, it was JLowe's birthday on Friday. Saturday was Shro-dude's birthday. That was an interesting day.

Shro-dude invited me to a birthday party at his place on Saturday night, which contradicted a planned birthday dinner for JLowe at about the same time. What to do? Glean every last moment out of both, of course.

So, as Saturday began, my wife and I planned our day out to allow maximum time at Chez Shro-dude prior to leaving for dinner. Got up at a certain time, dressed by a certain time, out to the gym by a certain time, all designed to get us where we needed to be.

On the way to the gym, we noticed a strange noise in our car. Only occurred over 60mph, and only while accelerating. The noise had disappeared by the time we got to the gym, and didn't recur on the way home.

So we go to Shro's. JLowe went, as well. It was good we couldn't stay long, because as much as I love Shro, it was a menagerie of babies and corresponding parents, none of whom I was even remotely acquainted with. Not that I don't like meeting new people, but I'd rather not on most occasions, and this was one.

JLowe's dinner was at
Chez Jose (East), a local Mexican place with several not-so-admirable qualities, at least during this visit. No free refills on soda (a large black mark in my book), no splitting checks (though, admittedly, we had a 10-person group and not enough places accomodate you in that size a menagerie), slow service...but I kept a stiff upper lip. The salsa is good, the chips warm, and my burrito was sublime. And me and The Missus escaped for under $20, so I can't complain too strenuously (I mean, I could, but what would it get me?)

After, The Missus and I decided to ditch JLowe's extravaganza in favor of a return to Chez Shro, both because there was a keg that needed attending to, and also because we had heard some of my work chums would be there.

On the way, though, the strange car noise returned, and with a vengeance at that. By the time we were near the 33rd Ave. Eastbound Exit from I-84, it was time to get off the road and find a safe place to ditch the car.

God had spoken. I was bad for ditching JLowe. My penance will be (I'm guessing from the sounds I heard) the purchase of a new transmission.

Ugh.

By the way, speaking of transmissions, this TV season is quite good. Here is a run-down of...


THE PIEMAN'S MUST-SEE TV '04.

Sunday
Sunday night is all about one show, Desperate Housewives. In this show, three-and-a-half gorgeous women (Nicollette Sheridan is actually old-and-busted, and doesn't count for a whole) cavort around their idyllic neighborhood, getting involved in highjinx and often wearing lingerie. Good stuff. Followed by Boston Public, where William Shatner glowers deliciously while James Spader woos multiple women, all too hot for him. Captivating.

Monday
Sadly, The Missus has me watching 7th Heaven, which is about the worst show ever made (especially those two damn kids who always finish eachother's sentences...yuk!) and Everwood, which is actually entertaining. Two rival doctors work together against a new rival doctor who admires them, who is trying to woo the women who loves the main rival doctor, who's son is dating the daughter of his rival-cum-partner. Delicious confusion!

Tuesday
Total sausage-fest. Nothing good to see here folks, go home and come back later. Actually, I love Scrubs, but always forget that it's on. Drats!

Wednesday
Smallville is the name of Wednesday night. Superman's teenage years, updated for our millenium millieu and filled with creepy storylines where, whilst discovering his own limits, Superman also must join his band of inquistive friends to solve supernatural crimes galore. X-Files meets the X-Men. Good stuff. Law and Order is also on, but not any good now that Lenny's gone. Sabrina needs to get sick of Jack and become a defense attorney, then wage some epic battles. That might be good.

Thursday
No longer the home of Must-See hits like Friends, NBC has become mostly forgettable. Thank God for FOX, which has moved the delightful O.C. to this night, much to the delight of both myself and my wife. See Ryan brood. See Seth be smart. See Sandy impress Kristin with his glib approach to life. See a soap opera that even your kids would love. E.R. fills out the initialized night of TV fun, although not as impressively as it once did. Why not bring Dr. Green back from the grave, or have George Clooney do a guest stint where he puts Carter back in his place?

Friday
Really, if you're at home watching TV on Friday, I weep for you.

Saturday
Though it continues to disappoint, the only reason to watch TV on Saturday continues to be SNL. Tina Fey is hot. Once Weekend Update is over, kill your television. The week is through.


There you have it.

It's wicked late, and I needs my sleep. Have a good night, chums.

Catch ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.