8.09.2004

Just a quickie

That, of course, is what I always say, and yet I invariably end up spending an hour writing about useless crap.

But it's good useless crap, so I'm not complaining.

Hit & Run played tonight. In keeping with my prior discussion, we lost due to the presence of Coors Light (as opposed to PBR). I blame Josh Deathsheep. Never mind the shoddy play of myself, G. Freeway, or SGray, to name a few. We were obviously poisoned by the water of the Colorado Rockies, because we stunk up the field. 4-3; probably not enough to make the play-offs.

Well done, though, my friends. You played your best, and your best just wasn't that good.

It's once again hot here in P-Town, which means it's over 65 degrees. Actually reached an official temperature of 98 today, and I felt every degree of it as I squinted into the sun looking for the softball that was flying toward my insufficient hands. Really, I'm not bitter at all.

Really, I don't have much of anything to write about tonight. I did catch 5 minutes of Bill Clinton on the radio tonight on KXL.

You know, I have somewhat mixed feelings about Bill. I hated him for the way he acted while President. I found him boorish and, frankly, "unpresidential" in his personal behavior. It disgusted me to have someone in the White House who was so blatant in their philandering and then, when caught, so blatant in their deception. It bothered me that we had a president who's most memorable quote was "It tastes good."

On the other hand, Bill had his definite likeable side. He seemed compassionate, he seemed caring, he seemed like he was a man of the people. Whenever he speaks, I want to believe him and I feel, to some extent, like I identify with him.

I hate that.

Tonight's five minutes included his defense of Sandy Berger's archives-looting ("We all knew him as a man with a messy desk but a very organized mind") and his take that he could have predicted everything that trashed our economy in 2000-2001 except for the 9/11 massacre. But he said it so likeably.

It really is shocking the polar opposite that we elected. Of course, Gore was just as disinteresting as a candidate--as a person-- as Bush is. At least with Bush, you get a funny accent and that funny little furrowed brow.

Bush has spoken at times and made my hair stand on end, in the good way. You can take almost anything he said in September of 2001 and it rates up there with the greatest speeches I've experienced. Part of it was no doubt the emotional rawness of the times. Part of it was that he was saying what we all felt. And part of it was admiration that he stayed solid and unwavering while we were all afraid. You felt for him. He looks very small on T.V. (Chuck saw him speak in front of his military unit, and actually says Bush is pretty tall), and we all favor the little guy.

Mostly, though, I think its the ability of his speech writers. I have difficulty believing claims that Bush wrote substantial portions of those speeches. He came across practically eloquent, and that's not the Bush I know.

Not that I'm knocking him for that. Kerry's a good speaker, but I don't trust the guy. Clinton was great in front of a crowd, and probably ad-libbed a few speeches, but that was just talk, and talk is cheap. I do believe the claims that Bush believes in what he's doing and works to be consistent in his presidency, and that is presidential. Whether his beliefs and his version of consistency are what we're looking for in a president is your choice, as well as mine.

What's my point? There is none, except that I wish we had a president with Bush's character, Clinton's likeability, and Lincoln's guts right now. I probably speak for a few when I say our country just seems to be lacking a certain je ne sais pas ce qui.

Speaking of which, I hate the French.

So, links then...

To finish out my new-Batman fetish, the trailer.

The truth is out there.

Game time!

What I'd do if I were God

For Travis http://www.onion.com/

Enough for now! But don't fear. I will

Catch ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.