11.19.2004

Yes, I'm still alive

One of the things I've noticed about blogging is the tremendous mental burden it can become. Not that I don't like to write; I do. Hence the blog.

But after awhile you feel a duty to blog. You feel guilty when you don't do it. You feel like you're letting someone down.

But who? That's the question I've confronted of late.

I know, because I've been told, that some people enjoy reading my blog. However, I certainly don't feel a responsibility toward them. Readers are a point of my blog, I guess (otherwise I'd just keep a diary), but they're also in a sense simply a benefit of this medium. A blog is a diary you can share; if noone reads it, that doesn't diminish its value to me (although I admit a silent satisfaction in the fact that the hit counter keeps on spinning).

So I guess I feel like I have a responsibility to myself to write. But I have a responsibility to myself to do so many things (go to the gym, eat healthy food, shave every morning, floss) that I don't successfully perform that, if I kept track of them all, I'd drown under the weight of my own crapulence. So I have to sometimes willingly refuse to accept my own self-flogging and just roll with whatever I'm doing (or not doing) and accept that I'm failing to meet some stated objective. Like blogging four times a week. I've obviously failed on that front several times in the past, and will fail again promptly, I'm sure.

Where have I been the last few days? Around. I've been reading all my favorite blogs, but I've also been chillin' like a villain. I blame this laziness, mostly, on the fact that there is absolutely nothing blogworthy happening in my feeble existence of late.

Want proof? Okay.
Sunday: Got up. Went to church. Went home. Went to gym with wife. Went to church again. Watched
Shrek 2 w/ wife and her friends.
Monday: Got up. Went to work. Took wife to
work during lunch hour. Came home. Played X-Box. Picked wife up from work (car was in the shop most of the week). Ate late dinner with wife. Went to bed.
Tuesday: Got up. Went to work. Went to
eye doctor, got my new contacts. Went back to work. Took wife to work during lunch hour. Went to gym. Came home. Played X-Box. Picked wife up from work. Ate late dinner with wife. Went to bed.
Wednesday: Got up. Spent 45 minutes trying to get contacts in. Successful. Went to work. Took wife to work during lunch hour. Came home. Picked up wife from work. Went to grocery store. Picked up car from
garage. Recorded Smallville on one TV while watching Elf on another with wife and JLowe. Went to bed.
Thursday: Got up. Tore one of the contact lenses, cussed. Went to work. Went to meeting after work. Came home, recorded
The O.C. for wife. When she got home, we watched Smallville and then E.R. Wife got a call from a family friend after first five minutes of E.R., which occupied the whole hour, so she came down and watched the rest of the show, which I had just watched, and I fell asleep on the couch as she did. (Eventually) went to bed.
Friday: Got up. Went to breakfast with friends (JLowe included). Drank coffee. Called eye doctor and attempted to get a new lens. Didn't work. Went to work. Spent the whole afternoon working on a powerpoint presentation for a series of classes I'm teaching for
Troutdale Police Department. Went to TPD for an hour, accomplishing little. Went to gym. Came home. Got a funny e-mail from JLowe directing me here. Drank a beer while typing on my computer.

And so it goes. Nothing interesting to discuss. Hence, no real reason to blog.

Rest assured, if anything interesting happens, I'll report it instantly.

Until then,

Catch ya later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

Do you not have the disposable contacts? According to my eye doctor (whom, admittedly, I suspect of being a bit of a charlatan and extortionist), that is the only kind available.

I think disposable contacts are kind of a rip-off, but if you tear one at least you've got back-ups.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Actually, I do have disposables.

When I got fitted for my new disposable lenses, the doctor gave me one pair to try for a week, to make sure they were fitting correctly prior to filling the whole order. Apparently, he only ordered that one pair, so that he wasn't stuck with many others when/if I reported that the ones he provided weren't working for me.

By the way, the last time I had contacts was in the 90's, while in law school. The doctor told me that contact lens technology was much improved, in relation to the contacts I used to have. Imagine my surprise when I was confronted with the same flimsy gel-like film to put over my eye. Imagine my disdain when I found that the contacts didn't insert themselves. Imagine my horror when I couldn't use them to see through walls. Technology, schmecknology.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.