4.13.2005

Why do I care (a.k.a. Damn Yankees)

While working today, I found myself tuning my browser into ESPN.com's GameCast of the Yankees/Red Sox game, which I wouldn’t miss for the world.

And then I thought, why do I care?

It’s interesting how sports allegiances are formed. As an example, I’ll list my sports allegiances, and explain why I have them, if I can figure it out.

College Sports
U of O, all the way. Why? I once had a girlfriend who attended U of O. Actually, she attended UW and PSU as well, but I was with her during her U of O phase. That was the year U of O’s football team, lead by Bill Musgrave and Cristin McLemore, went to the Rose Bowl and were pounced upon by Penn State. I remember going to my girlfriend’s house to watch the game with her and her family. It was a great day. Ever since, I’ve been a loyal Ducks fan, and I credit it all to the good times I had with my dearest Spot.

Basketball
Despite my current angst towards them, I’ve always been a Blazers fan to some extent. Right now I’m a fan of what they once were and what they (hopefully) will become. And, try as I might, I can’t help but be interested in knowing how they did in the last game they played, even as I swear that I won’t ever care again. And, as far as I can tell, I’m only a Blazers fan because they’re my hometeam.

NFL Football
49ers and Cowboys, because they provided so many great games during high school and college, when I was really following the sport (and back when players weren’t changing teams every year); Lions because Harrington the Duck is there; Vikings because I’m a Minnesota product. Generally I’m more a fan of NFC teams than AFC ones, despite the fact that the AFC has dominated the last few years.

Which brings us to Major League Baseball, and the source of today’s post:
Seattle Mariners, because they’re virtually a home team; and the Yankees and the Red Sox.

The Yankees and the Red Sox? That’s right. I like them both.

I originally hated the Yankees, especially back in the Jay Buhner/Ken Griffey days of the Mariners (who I followed in college) when the Mariners were trying to get to the series and the Yankees were succeeding in preventing that from happening. But in law school, I had a roommate from New York for whom Yankees games were required viewing, and as his enthusiasm grew, it infected me and I became a Yankees fan, following them through their first of several World Series in the modern era.

The BoSox is another story, and much lamer. A couple years ago (well, almost), I started working in our Gresham office, and during lunch myself and the other lawyer out here (who lives very close) would head to his house to play Playstation baseball for an hour. I originally tried to play with the Yankees, but found that they didn’t have the necessary pitching to do any damage to C-Mac’s team of choice, the Arizona Diamondbacks. So I thought about pitchers, realized I needed someone overpowering like Pedro Martinez, and started playing with the Red Sox. And as I grew in my domination, I also grew in my affection for the quirks of the players. Particularly Pedro, who (just like in real life) was either brilliant and un-hittable, or else wild and uncontrollable, and Johnny Damon, who was fast as hell but had the weakest arm ever seen.

And so, last year, as the ALCS (read “The Real World Series”) was being played, I was torn for who to root for, and although I was kinda leaning towards supporting the Yanks, I was fine with Boston proceeding to the Big Show.

So, looking at all of this, what makes a person a sports fan? Personalities, proximity, and Playstation appear to answer that question.

Who do you follow, and why?

Catch ya later.

1 Comments:

Blogger hannahhas said...

I have loved the Pats for years. Reason? My ex had the coolest Pats T-shirt, and I loved to wear it. As I wouldn't wear a sports T without knowing the current stats of the team (nobody wants to be the dumb girl lacking any sports knowledge) I ended up following the team that I love today... even if I didn't get to keep the shirt.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.