4.01.2005

South Beach?

So, JLowe and his wife are going on the South Beach diet on Monday.

Last year, I went on the blood type diet and lost about 40 pounds. A year later, I've put back on 30 of those. So, I've opted to give South Beach a try with my friends.

Besides, as far as I can tell, it's much like the blood type diet.

Anyway, in celebration of our upcoming abstinence from highly enjoyable eating, JLowe and I had sushi at Todai today. I'm pretty keen on that place, especially since I've developed an uncanny ability for not having to ever pay when I go there (this was JLowe's second time in a row treating me).

An hour later, we both emerged, stuffed to the gills. I guaranteed JLowe that I wouldn't ever eat again. I recanted, then swore that I'd not have any food crossing my lips for at least 6 months.

"I'll hold you to that," he said.

Well, he was right. After The Missus got home, she informed me that the Little Dutch Boy had called, asking if we'd care to join her for tasty Indian food at Swagat, which is not yet in my Portland's best list, but should eventually work its way over there.

I had my usual, Chicken Saag (chicken in a mildly spicy spinachy sauce) a la carte. Also had a Mac's Ale (no beer on South Beach), and plenty of tasty bread. All was well, except that our waiter was a bit of a slacker (totally forgot my second beer, forgot a special order I requested for my wife, and totally disappeared for about 30 minutes without checking on us as we waited for dinner), and our tasty bread showed up looking like it was a tad moldy.

The Little Dutch Boy is an expert at getting free stuff through the system of complaining. So, with the whole moldy-looking bread thing, we thought we might get a nice discount.

Turns out the bread had ash on it from the stove that Swagat uses to cook the bread in, and so we had no such luck.

Now I'm home, as is The Missus, who's nursing a new cold. I sent her off to bed with some peppermint tea and Hall's cough drops, and I'm catching up on some much over-due blogging while my dog plays with her newest toy, a little plush animal that is keeping her quite busy (thankfully).

Man, she's beating the crap out of it. I hope it survives the night...

Catch ya later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Betsy said...

Hey! I was at Todai yesterday for lunch as well - was part of the 16 or so people at the table by the door, actually.

Alas, I had to pay for my lunch. And I really do wish we'd stop picking Todai for special work celebrations (it was a good-bye lunch for a colleague today) - either that, or we have to redefine what qualifies as one, 'cause my wallet can't take the hit for lunch...

6:54 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

I [heart] Swagat. It's the only Indian restaurant in Portland (that I know of anyway) that serves cuisine from both northern and southern India.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.