12.11.2004

The Mighty Tannenbaum

My old, poor, sad, lonely tree is no longer any of these. It is now an exciting bit o' Christmas.

Picture courtesy my lame-o Sony Clie. Posted by Hello

As I previously reported, I've now had a Christmas tree 12 hours shy of two weeks, and until today it had occupied either my garage or my living room in sheer nakedness, looking entirely too unhappy for me even to bear.

Not that I ever did anything about it, of course. My week's been filled with more important activities.

On Monday, I came home and went to sleep at 6:00, expecting my wife to wake me up to take her to the gym, and instead slept the whole night away.

On Tuesday, Scrubs and Sweet Basil at JLowe's house (by the way, check out his new mantel. Made it himself; thoroughly impressive.)

On Wednesday, I don't remember how I wasted my evening; suffice it to say, I did.

Thursday: Santa duty, followed by The OC, followed by The Apprentice (finally getting good) and E.R. (in decline, but still worth a watch).

That left tonight. I wasn't sure how this whole tree thing was going to work out, because there was much to do this weekend. Today I had a CLE (lawyer jargon for class-time that helps us keep our licenses) downtown. CLE's are great because I get to see all my work chums, which is a rarity as I'm still posted in the far off reaches of Gresham. And seeing my work chums at the end of a work day is great because we can go, after work, to the Lotus for appetizers and quality time. I love the Lotus. It is one of my guilty pleasures.

Today I was all set to go to the Lotus, except I realized I still owed my wife a trip to the gym. She's still trying to develop the ipod rationale, so I have to help her to establish the necessity.

So, no fun for me. I came home and took a nap until The Missus got home, then off to the gym we went.

I anticipated that after the gym we'd come home and go to bed. Been a long week for us both, with all the TV to be seen and all. I figured that if we were ever going to do the tree, it would be tomorrow sometime, which forced me to get out of some plans I had been trying to get into (involving playing X-Box with other lawyers and behaving like grown men shouldn't).

But the wife surprised me with a sudden flourish of Christmas cheer, and the tree got decked.

Sorry the picture sucks so bad. We haven't yet sprung for a proper digital camera (though we are getting one before heading on our trip to Mexico), so all I have to take pictures with is my 18 month old Sony Clie PEG-UX50, which isn't altogether bad, except the lens is recessed enough that the various pocket lint that's worked its way into the lens hole is no longer extractable, and everything works itself into a big, blurry mess. If you were able to see anything in the picture, I'd be able to describe the myriad of random decorations we have and discuss the significance of each (like my "Playful Penguins" which I've had since childhood and were inspired by my love of Opus from Bloom County, or my wife's freaky stuffed bird, which she bought at Target last year and loves because "it's so soft, like real feathers," but which just gives me the heebie-jeebies).

Anyway, the tree's almost done. We still need a topper. Have one that doesn't really fit on modern trees. It's one of those old glass ones that has a narrow opening and looks like a needle swallowing a ball. I can't describe it any better. Anyway, it worked on the old trees of the 50's and 60's, prior to the introduction of steroids into our culter which has resulted in trees with tops too wide to cram into the tiny hole. So, to add to our Christmas tradition, this year we're getting a new topper that can handle the realities of modern conifer science.

Should be fun.

Now that I've handled the tree angle, I can feel like a decent human being again. Now I can blog about something snarky. First, I'll have to find a topic. Until then,

Catch ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.