12.07.2004

Ode to my poor sad Christmas tree

I, like many of you, have a Christmas tree.

We got it the weekend after my recent unfortunate hospital visit. I remember the day well. I was feeling un-plussed, not so much at having to get a tree, but more at having to go out on a day when I frankly felt lousy. However, being the sport that I am, I pulled it together, and off we went.

We were accompanied in our time by our eternal brethren-in-arms, the Lowes. JLowe was kind enough to drive us in his trusty new Element, which was nice, as the back seats fold all the way back and allow for sweet sleep. Which I got. Both on the way there and on the way back.

Anyway, so that was over a week ago.

Our tree stayed out in our garage the first four days, as our old Christmas tree stand, which is actually one of the newer, fancier, plastic-type models that is supposed to be trouble-free, has caused me to say more than my fair share of swear words every year since we bought it. So, I found some time on the Tuesday after we bought the tree to buy a stand. We got the tree up on Wednesday, which (I think) was in time to prevent it from drying too-far-out to survive the holiday season.

So, there it has sat for about a week, lamenting its uncared-for state. Because, after putting it in the stand, we failed to decorate it. And we have persisted in failing to decorate it through today (and, I anticipate, will continue to desist in decking the halls until Saturday-ish).

Not like I haven't had time to do any decorating. I spent three hours at church on Saturday, primarily assembling and decorating a 12-foot Christmas tree. Then I came home, looked at my tree, and went to do something entirely different.

I feel horrible. I have a tree sitting in my house, looking deprived of any purpose that merits its removal from the lovely tree farm where it was so wonderfully affixed to its root system. And I continue to be entirely unenthused about remedying its sorrowful state.

This is my confession. I feel a weight lifted from my shoulders. But, don't worry. As soon as I leave my desk and pass the tree again, I'll again feel like a useless turd.

Guess this year I get a lump of coal...

Catch ya later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

I think Christmas trees are pretty great, decorated or not. I wouldn't beat myself up too much about delaying decorating. It should be fun, not a chore, so wait until you're in the right frame of mind. For now, enjoy it in its more or less natural state and make sure you're giving it enough water.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.