12.01.2004

Modern health crisis

So, it turns out not all my problems are caffeine-related.

During my recent misadventure, the doctor in the E.R. had the foresight to draw my blood to check my thyroid level. Since 2000, I've been taking thyroid supplements due to an under-active thyroid gland, and the doctor was curious as to whether there was a change in the level of supplementation that I need that may help to explain away my light-headedness, if not all the symptoms I displayed in my brush with not-so-nigh-death.

Turns out he was right. I saw the doctor yesterday and she verified that my thyroid level (as supplemented) is low. I've noticed since Friday that I've been very fatigued, generally feel cold, and have continued to be a bit dizzy. Once we talked about my low thyroid level, I remembered that these were all symptoms I was feeling back in 2000 before discovering my issue.

And so we've upped my meds, and all should be good.

While there, my doctor also checked my cholesterol level. Recall, as I've blogged many times, that I have a family history of heart disease and cholesterol problems.

I've actually been taking steps to treat my own high cholesterol since I was 18, when we first discovered that I was heading towards levels that were higher than an 18 year-old should have. During my last cholesterol test, we found that a maximum daily dose of Zocor, mixed with diet and exercise, was holding my cholesterol to a near-good 197.

Well, I've learned that the diet and exercise components are key. Over the last three or four months, I've slacked off on my dieting. Also, my workout regimen got screwed up, which I blame mostly on the disruption that moving represented. As most people who work out know, once you get a routine going, its easy to keep up. But stop for a bit, and the whole house of cards tumbles in.

And so it has with me. I've recently re-booted my physical exercise regimen, but not soon enough to realize a continued benefit in my cholesterol level. The latest results? High. Too high.

So, a new med, and a re-commitment to the diet that helped me shed 35 pounds and many, many points on my cholesterol level, and I'm hoping when I go back in six weeks to see satisfactory results.

Anyway, all this to say that I haven't been blogging because I've been sleeping. I'm actually on my way to bed now, because I'm still tired, but I'm hoping that my new thyroid medication will kick in noticeably in the next few days, allowing me to spend many a late hour typing my gibberish into the ether.

Hope all's well with all of you.

Catch ya later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

I (supposedly) have hypothyroidism, too, although I have thankfully never suffered any of the typical symptoms (feeling cold, weight gain, hair loss). One thing my doctor told me was that an underactive thyroid often contributes to a high cholesterol reading. I'll bet that the new thyroid med dosage will help your cholesterol go down. So don't bother exercising or dieting. (Kidding!)

I meant to comment on that whole caffeine episode, but something seemed to be really screwed up w. Blogger's commenting system. I actually had no problem believing that caffeine could cause all those crazy symptoms. It is an extremely powerful drug as you will find out if you wean yourself off it and then accidentally have a cup of regular coffee. You'll find yourself on the Moon.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

It is amazing what you can forget over time. I had heard, and forgotten, about the correlation between high cholesterol and low thyroid. Thanks for the reminder, which brings some comfort.

With regard to the caffeine, I've weaned myself off of it completely several times in the past, always to get suckered back in. What I can say is that I've never (except during my episodes) really been aware of effects that I could feel, just been aware that I was able to make it through the day easier, even when I'd quit for several months and then abruptly resumed. Luckily, the withdrawal headaches this week have been relatively minor, so I haven't needed to use tea or anything like that as a crutch.

And, happy to report, I've been able to avoid becoming a grouch, despite the caffeine ingestion and withdrawal effects described here.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.