1.15.2005

Whoa! It's cold out!

Understatement, I know.

My wife is bummed. She had grand plans for today. A manicure, a pedicure, a facial and a massage to start our vacation off right. All those are off now.

In response to her sorrow, I offered what little I could--to schlep to the store to make her one of her favorite breakfasts, German Pancakes (if you want the recipe, let me know).

Knowing I couldn't drive, I just had to figure out a way to survive the walk down the icy hill to get to the local Trader Joe's on foot.

INCLEMENT WEATHER SURVIVAL TIP #1
Stick to the grass strips. Whereever possible, I walked on grass, which (at this point) is not glazed to the point of slickness. Of course, crossing streets (and the Trader Joe's parking lot, for that matter) was an adventure, but tip #1 reduced my number of spills in a one-mile round trip from infinite to four.

INCLEMENT WEATHER SURVIVAL TIP #2
When you can't walk on grass, walk on a fence line. The suport offered by fences (especially on hill-side skating rinks) is invaluable.

INCLEMENT WEATHER TIP #3
If you have an MP3 player, wear it on your waist, not your arm. I almost opted for the armband, but found that on my occasional spills I tended to brace with my hand or arm, and my frontal waist region never was endangered.

Anyway, stay warm today. If this holds out 'til Monday, you can bet I'll be personally de-icing the runways at PDX and putting kitty litter under the plane tires...

Catch ya later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wyrd said...

May I add: No slick shoes without tread and be especially careful when entering any commercial establishments. There always seems to be more of a layer of ice right before the door. I learned that the hard way when I once moved to a place of colder than the coast temperatures.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.