1.05.2005

Everyone get what they wanted for Christmas? And, thoughts on the new year.

I did. Everything. Here's the list:
  • Dell DJ 20GB MP3 Player
  • New Black casual (but dressy-enough if needed) shoes
  • New Brown dressy work shoes
  • CD's (including the new U2 one, which promptly made it onto my MP3 player)
  • Seinfeld seasons 1-3 (thanks to the cooperative efforts of JLowe and The Missus)
  • The Anchorman (well, just got that, but with a Fred Meyer Gift Card my wife got)
  • Other stuff (really, do you need to hear anymore?)

I'm very happy with everything. The Dell, obviously, is the greatest gift. Not surprisingly, it cost the same as my wife's 4GB iPod mini, which we only purchased because its so cute. Luckily for JLowe, whose wife is gunning for similar stuff, I was able to steer her toward the Dell Pocket DJ, which is $50 cheaper than the iPod mini and holds 1GB more of music. It also works with more media formats.

Anyway, thanks to the power of Xanax, Christmas went well, and the new year isn't so bad, either. I know, I complained the other day, but that was just a bad day. All in all, things are alright. Thanks to my recent medical issues, I'm off caffeine, have cut back severely on alcohol intake, have quit fast-food, and am watching my diet much more carefully again. And, thanks to the investment in the iPod mini, my wife has been going with me to the gym four times a week, which is a miracle. A Christmas miracle, perhaps.

Our lowly tree is still up. We started pondering when to take it down, but that was just too much effort, so we've left the pondering to a day when we have more energy. I just saw Garden State last week, and suspect that, much like Natalie Portman's character, we'll end up realizing around September that we might as well leave our still-decorated tree up since Christmas will again be fast approaching. However, here's hoping that I develop some ambition in the next few days. Not likely, but still...

For New Year's, we went to JLowe's and I watched a bunch of people drink alot of alcohol. I also learned to play dominoes, which (sadly) was the most exciting part of my evening. On New Year's Day, we held a departure barbecue for our friend 12, who was in town to visit from his army training in Texas, but left the next day. He's now in his final bit of training before spending 18 months in Fallujah. If you have a minute, say a prayer. We all want to see him back soon.

Speaking of which, Marine Man (you may remember him from my brief rant on my Pimps and Ho's Party after Halloween) just got sent off to prep for a trip back to Iraq. Marine Man is a friend from work who's already done a tour in Baghdad. Apparently, that wasn't good enough, because Uncle Sam has again tapped him for a journey to Iraq to foster stability or whatever his job is there. I know he left today because I was woken up by a text message saying "C u in sept semper fi" which I assume means he's left for wherever his base of departure is.

To 12 and to Marine Man, I say you are both heroes, and I wish you both well. Though the various departure events for both were supposed to be as non-wakish as possible, one can't help but fear the worst, but one must also pray for the best. I know I'll be seeing these two friends again soon, and I look forward to those days.

Anyhow, like I noticed on Betsy's site today (that would be My Whim is Law, which is linked to the side), there is enough going on in the world that I don't need to complain about mine. Sure, I'm having weird anxiety issues and am forced to take random meds to deal with them. But I'm safe at home, have a good house, have a wonderful wife, have a (relatively) secure job, have wonderful friends, and (generally) have my health. I have much to be thankful for, given where I could be. And so, I ask you to join me in spending a moment counting your blessings this New Year (instead of your short-comings) and saying a quiet prayer for those who aren't so lucky.

And, again, 12 and Marine Man, I'll see you again soon.

Catch ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.