1.11.2005

BBQ Competition Rages On

So, tonight, thanks to the generosity of JLowe, I had Campbell's BBQ on Powell.

It's late, and I've had a beer or two, so I'm not going to say too much.

It was hard to go in objectively. I've grown very attached to Big Daddy's, which (prior to my arrival at Campbell's) rated as my favorite BBQ place in town.

Upon my arrival at Campbell's, I knew they would be a strong challenger. The menu is simple: basically brisket or ribs with the classic sides. I opted (perhaps because of Rozanne's recent cole slaw mis-adventure) for cole slaw and, as always at a good rib place, the collard greens. The strength of the challenge was more apparent when, in response to my request for water, I received a tumbler that was no less than 24 ounces. I love a place with good drink service.

Pros: The greens were the best I've had anywhere yet, hands down. The sauce on the brisket (I opted for medium, after reading a warning that the hot might be a little much) was very good, the quality of the beef was excellent and it was very nicely sliced, thin and lean.

Cons: The meat tastes too-BBQ'd, overly smokey and not meaty enough, the coleslaw was more like a cold cabbage gaspacho, the restaurant felt cramped and untidy, and I don't believe in BBQ joints that don't offer beer.

Verdict: Mixed bag. I still favor Big Daddy's over Campbell's. Why? I enjoy the ability to mix and match sauces to your liking, there's more on the menu, and they serve beer. Further, the restaurant has a nicer feel. And the waitresses are (almost always) super-cute, which doesn't hurt the ambience issue. However, Big Daddy's would do well to take notes on the greens at Campbell's, the service at Campbell's was excellent, and the meat was of a slightly better quality than the beef I've had at Daddy's.

Where's that leave us? Big Daddy's is still the king, Cambpell's is a tie, in my opinion, with Cannon's (Cambpell's may have a slight edge), and Clay's Smokehouse is still dead last. Still have to try Yam Yam's, Tennessee Red's, and any other BBQ joints you all might recommend.

This is your intrepid food critic, signing out.

Catch ya later.

5 Comments:

Blogger Betsy said...

Big Daddy's? Is that where At the Hop used to be?

YamYam's can be great at times, uneven others. And I think it's expensive for what you end up getting.

I've not been, but I've heard raves about a place in Aloha called Reo's.

Totally agree with you about Campbell's greens, btw. And the marionberry cobbler? It was amazing...

6:43 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Yeah, I think that's where At the Hop used to be. A-frame building. Can't miss it now; it's painted up like a giant fire.

All about ambiance, baby.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, no, you didn't just say that. Please, quick, take it back. Too smoky??? Please, never take a trip to Lockhart, Texas, or Kansas City.

Big Daddy's is some of the worst BBQ I've ever had anywhere. Anywhere! (See report: http://www.chowhound.com/pacificnw/boards/pacificnw/messages/14739.html .)

I'll grant you the waitresses are hot. And they do have a selection of sauces. But hey, if the meat sucks, the sauce can be like perfect pumpkin pie and I'm not eating it. Give me a spoon and I won't suffer the cost or the tooth damage.

Campbell's is currently the best in town. They're one of the few places you can actually taste the smoke (the whole point in BBQ-ing, otherwise you could just do it on a gas grill or in the oven). Others that are better than Big Daddy's: Yam Yam's for ribs and soul food buffet, Reo's for pork ribs, Doris's for beef ribs, Cannon's for rib tips, and Russell Street for pulled pork. Soon, LOW will be back at it and they'll be better than all these again.

With your tastes, please at least go try Russell Street BBQ. They do everything at least mediocrely, have a very pleasant interior, and a big selection of both foods and sauces. I would much rather go to Tony Roma's than Big Daddy's.

For more info on good BBQ, see here:

http://www.dallasfood.org
http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=26

12:05 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

I'm guessing you're Nick.

I think we should agree to disagree. After all, beauty is in the eye (or, in this case) the mouth of the beholder.

I was honestly bothered to the point of distraction by the smokiness of the meat.

I agree with you that Cannon's is very good. I also notice their meat doesn't have the level of smokiness in its flavor that Campbell's done.

In the end, the sauce is what I end up relying on. Meat is meat, to a certain extent. Preparations differ, including marinades, cooking styles, cuts, and the like (I think Big Daddy's does, in fact, use gas), but a good sauce can do wonders. I love the fact that BD's offers you the variety of sauces that they do.

If you ever do decide to give them another shot, try the wings. I blogged on those back in July or August (post title is "OUCH! But it hurts so good", which are the best I've had anywhere.

I still have to try Yam Yam's. And thanks for the additional suggestions. I go into each place with an open mind...

11:00 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

And, for the record, Tony Roma's is ass. I can't believe you'd put BD's below them.

But I respect your opinion, I guess...

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.