2.10.2005

If you're not cheating, you're not trying

Just got back from the Delta Cafe, where me and the crew took on several other teams in the Wednesday night "Quizzy" competition.

This competition consists of teams of no more than seven going through four rounds of progressively harder questions, the goal being to amass the most points by the end of the evening.

At the end of Round 3, my team was legitimately in the lead by 3 points.

Round 4 was tough, though. There were a couple of questions we flat-out couldn't answer. First, how many days were the hostages held in Iran before they were freed? (444). Second, what is the highest point in the western hemisphere (Mt. Acapagua).

As a lawyer, I have learned that there is a difference between morals and ethics. Morals are issues of right and wrong. Ethics allows for more shades of gray.

C-Mac took advantage of the distinction, using his cell phone to access the internet for the above difficult answers. We ended up winning by 13 points, but if he hadn't cheated, we would've tied.

I'm not proud, but I don't feel too bad, either.

Now, on to the meme. What is that, you ask? Per dictionary.com, a
meme is: A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.

To give credit where it is do, this was all brought on by Denise at And So it Goes (which is linked on the right) but then made its way to Betsy's blog at My Whim is Law. Once two of the people who I regularly read (and, in turn, who regularly read me) got on the train, I decided I had to ride along.


This meme is more like one of those chain e-mails where you fill in questions about yourself. Here it goes:

1. Song that sounds like happy feels
The "Oh Yeah" song from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Or Lemon, by U2.

2. Earliest music memory
Crystal Gayle's "Don't it Turn My Brown Eyes Blue" on my mom's radio. Or crying while listening to "Against All Odds" repeatedly in 2nd grade while thinking of how Deanne, the love of my life, had just moved to Weiser, Idaho.

3. Last CD bought
The last CD I actually purchased was Green Day's "American Idiot" for my wife. The last one I received (legitimately) was U2's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb", or Switchfoot's "The Beautiful Letdown", or Eminem's "Encore". They were all Christmas presents.

4. Reminds you of school
"Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-A-Lot. Lot's of school dances flashing through my mind. Or "Lady in Red" which I danced to with my 6th grade girlfriend in the cafeteria during the hour-long school dances in middle school.

5. Total music files on your PC
I plead the fifth. There are alot.

6. Song for listening to repeatedly when depressed
"October" by U2, or "Something I Can Never Have" by Nine Inch Nails

7. Song that sounds British but isn't
Objection. Relevance!

8. Song you love, band you hate
Anything by Britney Spears. Really, I like her songs too much to really hate them, but loathe myself for liking them so much that I must hate them. It's quite the pickle.

9. Favorite song from the past that took ages to track down
"Boomin' Grannies" by the Beastie Boys. Quality line of all time: "I saw you in the checkout line, you dropped your coupons, and you was lookin' fine."

10. Bought the album for one good song
Eminem's "The Eminem Show." Bought it for "Without Me" which has a great beat and makes me laugh. Never really listened to the rest of it.

11. Worst song to get stuck in your head
Whatever my wife's singing that day. Or anything from the movie "Moulin Rouge."

12. Best song to dump beer on someone’s head to, then storm out of the bar
Never been that angry, but the best angry music comes from 80's rock bands (like G'n'R, Motley Crue, or Metallica) so insert your favorite song from those groups here. Or Stormtroopers of Death's "What the F*** is That Noise?"

It's late. Sleepy time now.

Catch ya later.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A win is a win. You should see my family in a rough game of Pictionary or Cranium.

Oh Yeah - that is a great choice. I love that song.

AND - do you know Buttermilk Biscuits by Sir Mix-A-Lot. That's a great one: Sift the flour, roll the dough..

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me...I guess I should just pony up get my own blogger login. Gah (as Betsy would say)!!!!

Denise
And So It Goes

11:17 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

What is this? After all my griping Blogger goes and changes its commenting system. I hope it still sucks, so I can feel I was justifed in switching to Haloscan. I'm a selfish daughter of a gun.

Sorry for the digression. I was going to say: Thanks for putting forth the effort to look up "meme" and put the definition on your blog. All this time I'd been thinking of it as the French word for "same," without the circumflex, and had convinced myself that that sort of made sense because everyone that does the meme posts about the same thing.

I see I was wrong.

I hope you celebrated your win with some of Delta's BBQ ribs, mac 'n' cheese, and greens. So tasty!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

It was late, so I just had a spicy meatball sandwich (to chase my 5 PBR's). But I hear Delta's got good ribs, so maybe I'll have those next Wednesday when we defend our title.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.