2.02.2005

Happy Groundhogs Day?

Did you know that February 2nd is Groundhog's Day?

C'mon, truth. I didn't. My wife, however did.

This all came up during dinner tonight. The Missus asked me to guess what she'd watched today.

This is a silly, silly game. First, there's no way to guess the answer. Between the Buffy episodes we have saved on our computer, the TV shows we taped on our vacation, and the DVD's we have in the basement, there's no way I'm just going to guess what she watched. And she doesn't have the patience to deal with my questions designed to focus my guess. You know, the ones like "is it bigger than a breadbox?" and "does it involve Smurfs?"

Anyway, she told me what she watched (the lame movie Girls Just Want to Have Fun, starring a barely-pubescent Sarah Jessica Parker and other people doing stupid things that girls find entertaining) and then continued sipping the hot & sour soup.

Then, another equally inane question. "Can you guess what I heard on the radio today?"

"Do you really want to play this game again?"

"C'mon," she poked. "Think about it. What is today?"

"Uh, February 2nd. Wednesday."

She got this look on her face which made me think I was forgetting our anniversary or something. "Let's see, your birthday is later this month, as is mine, our anniversary is next month, so as far as I can tell, I officially can't be in trouble for not being able to guess whatever holiday today may be..."

She cut me off. "It's Groundhog's Day. Everyone knows that."

I told her that wasn't true. She didn't believe me. But we weren't through.

"So, can you guess what song I heard?"

"How am I supposed to do that?"

"Think of the movie. What song is in the movie?"

I flashed back to the scene of Bill Murray playing piano while wooing Andie McDowell, but I knew that couldn't be right. What other song was there?

"What song played on his radio every morning?"

At that point, I was able to guess. "I Got You Babe", I correctly guessed.

My wife accused me of being a moron. Not only was I (supposedly) the only person who didn't know February 2nd was Groundhog's Day, but further, she guessed most people could remember the song from the movie with far less brow-furrowing and gnashing of teeth than me.

I decided to test that. We conducted a poll.

We went through my cell phone and called about 10 friends. Among them, Hozay the gadget-lover, JLowe, C-Mac (who's finally fulfilling his long-promised Blazer game just in time for me to see them implode against the Kings on Saturday), CW, The Little Dutch Boy, Charlie the War Hero, Schro-dude, Steve the bro-in-law, and Mr. Schnacky. Each call was conducted over speaker phone. For each call, we first asked each person to answer the question "What is today?" Most guessed Wednesday, February 2nd. With a little additional prodding, most eventually got to Groundhog's Day (except for CW and the Dutch Boy). C-Mac's first response to "What is today?" was "my birthday," which is entirely true. When asked what else today was, he spouted out "Groundhog's Day." He, by far, outperformed everyone on the first portion of the test.

The next portion of the test was to ask each participant what song played every morning in the movie Groundhog's Day to wake up the slumbering Bill Murray. Again, most people were able to answer the question with some prodding. C-Mac, again, was swiftest in his response.

CW and the Dutch Boy couldn't answer either question. They are, therefore, officially my intellectual inferiors.

C-Mac was by far the greatest intellect of all surveyed, followed closely by JLowe and Schro-dude, then Charlie the War Hero and Mr. Schnacky.

My intellectual matches were Hozay the gadget lover, and Steve the bro-in-law. They each correctly answered half the equation.

Anyway, my wife and I found that random telephone quiz show is a fun game to pass the time, and encourage you all to steal it.

And, lest I forget, Happy Groundhog's Day.

Catch ya later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wish all my friends had snazzy names like that. Sometimes I call Lynn Errol Lynn...but thats about it.

Well, unless you count my soon-to-be-husband. He has about five or so different names he goes by: Nick, Tracy, TNT, Goose, Hey You...

Denise
And So It Goes

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.