4.16.2005

Couple of late thoughts

Currently I'm supposed to be in NW Portland helping a friend move his TV to his car. The reason? Today is another HALO-fest.

Problem is, either my wife forgot I was driving her to work this morning, or else I was dead to the world and entirely unresponsive when she tried to roust me at 6:30 this morning. Either way, the upshot is that my car is missing.

Which conveniently gets me out of lifting a TV, but creates the issue of me having to develop a way to teleport to SW Portland, where the festivities are being held.

While I'm trying to figure that one out, a couple of late, but quick, thoughts...

DIET
As I announced last week, I've embarked on another bit of targeted dietary lunacy by engaging in a trial of the South Beach Diet. For two weeks, during this awful phase one, the diet is essentially Atkins, with low carbs, lots of protein, and bad ketonic breath.

The results? So far, lost about 8 lbs. While at the Red Coach yesterday, I sat down and enjoyed a tasty double cheeseburger (sans bun) and a Diet Coke. And I stared longingly at the lovely french fries being gobbled by the other consumers at the joint. And I drooled.

Monday, phase 2 begins. Limited re-entry into the carb world in a quest to see how much I can have while still losing weight. I'm very happy. I've missed sushi...

THE FREE BLAZERS GAME
Let me say this. I'm glad Thursday's game was free, because I feel very bad for anyone who had to pay to watch that garbage.

Which is not to say the whole game sucked. At the beginning of the second half, things got exciting for a bit and the Blazers went on a run, knocking a consistent 14 point Dallas Mavericks lead down to 7. But they couldn't sustain it, and eventually it was another night of "can they at least not get blown out?" basketball.

I was having a great time, though. I got to sit up in a suite with JLowe, some lucky radio listeners, and the crew from 1080 The Fan's Primetime Sports. I bent the diet a little to celebrate my good fortune with a free beer and some free fried chicken (peeled the skin off), both of which I should have done without (although the beer made the game more tolerable). If it hadn't been for JLowe's insistence on milking our seats for all the luxury viewing they were worth, though, I would have done the unthinkable and left early to avoid the rush at the MAX. I was honestly considering making a break for it at halftime, but thought I might look ungrateful if I did so.

After the game, I listened intently to the radio to hear if any of the quips I was throwing out in the box while the radio guys were around would be used. Nada. But I did get to hear about the excitement involving both Darius Miles and Ruben Patterson, who both boiled over in various frustrations after the game (here's the latest). My thoughts:
  • Darius is a jerk. Ever since he got his paycheck, he's been a little baby. We should've waited until the end of the season before paying him.
  • Ruben is right. The team is pulling a tank job now to get a good lottery position. And there's no excuse, if the team's honestly trying to win, to pull both Ruben and Shareef out of the game when the team is still in striking distance and the afore-mentioned fellas are the highest scorers in the group. As a fan, I expect a team to try to win. But, as a fan, I also expect a team to do its best to improve. And, at this juncture, the best shot at improvement may in fact be a tank job. So I say soothe Ruben's ego, tell him he's right, allow him to take the last 3 games off so you can pull off your tank job, and make some strides this summer to show him, and the fans, that you mean business when you say you're going to improve this team on and off the court.
  • And then trade Zach and Darius and Derek. Re-up Shareef. Throw some cash at Joel to keep him here, because Theo is not our future (although I don't see him as our past yet, either). Get some shooting (sorry, Frahm, you're not the guy). Get a couple of solid veterans in here to work with Sebastian. If possible, convince Damon to come back as our back-up PG. And start Ruben all next season, giving all the back-up SF time to Travis so that when Ruben leaves he's ready.
That's my plan. When you fire John Nash, give me a call. I'm dirt cheap.

So, that's it. Turns out JLowe's able to swing by and get me, so I have to make sure the dog is properly emptied of her foul contents and watered before leaving her for a few hours of bliss.

Catch ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.