12.14.2004

Tales of the accursed JLowe

So, as anyone who reads this blog with regularity knows, I spend most of my time here writing about whatever moves me at the moment. Sometimes sports, rarely politics, sometimes just links to websites I've enjoyed on my freetime.

And, often, friends.

Today, I tell you a tale of my accursed best friend, JLowe.

Why accursed?

That's the story.

JLowe and I go back. Way back. Let me emphasize this enough. Waaaaay back. We met in hight school (which, sadly, is longer ago than I'd rather ponder).

Really, we were never meant to be friends. JLowe and I had a common friend, Caleb. We all met in our church's youth group.

My first memory of both is from the summer prior to my freshman year in high school. The high school class was going on a missions trip to Mexico, and my mom thought it would be good for me to join along. So, off to Mexico I went. Caleb was there. JLowe was, too.

JLowe, at the time, was a stuffy, stuck-up kid (at least, that's how I viewed him) who didn't really communicate with anyone I hung out with. Caleb was the pastor's kid, and as such was always looking for trouble to get into. I was kinda just a dorky mama's boy, trying to find people to hang out with.

That first summer, I'd not be friends with either of these lads.

The following year, I ended up working my way into Caleb's circle. Don't remember how, it just happened. Somewhere along there, JLowe worked his way in as well. As time went on, it eventually became a circle of three. Caleb, I'm sure, was the dominant part of our group. JLowe and I were basically his friends, and more acquaitances towards eachother, and as we always were hanging out in the same group, we just became friends out of necessity.

Caleb, the PK, ended up leaving town. First it was as a buyer for a Turkish carpet store (no doubt an excuse to engage in foreign debauchery), then as a student at bible college, then eventually as a married guy, and finally he just sorta disappeared. We haven't seen him in years.

When Caleb split, JLowe and I were stuck being friends. Our triad was busted, but we kept the party going, hoping our third leg would return. Eventually, through college and law school, we ended up being best pals, pseudo-brothers, roommates, and best men at eachother's weddings (although Caleb was in both of our wedding parties). It was working for JLowe's dad that brought my wife into my life. It was hanging out with me and my wife that brought JLowe's wife into his life. JLowe and I work together, as do our wives. We're working on arranging the marriages of our future children even now.

Trust me, this is scary stuff.

This long lead-up to describe the accursedness of JLowe. As fast friends, bosom buddies, etc., we have taken to exchanging Christmas presents. This year, I thought to buy JLowe some movies to watch.

Knowing he wanted Dodgeball, that was my first choice. But one movie wasn't enough, so I ended up getting him Kill Bill I & II as well (don't worry, he already knows about that...).

Here's the kicker. JLowe, knowing full well Christmas is coming and multiple people are looking to bestow fun stuff on him, went out and bought himself a present. That present: the afore-mentioned Dodgeball.

I hate that. Now, it has arrived (via Amazon.com, my favorite place for avoiding mall traffic), and I'm just going to have to keep it for myself now. In fact, as I continue to feel not-so-well, I'm about to head to bed and watch it as sleepiness washes over me.

Why am I writing this? Simple. First, I haven't written in a couple of days. Second, I got the gift in the mail and it reminded me of how irate I am. And, third, to share a little holiday secret with you all:

Never, ever buy yourself presents right before Christmas. It's just wrong.

That's all. Catch ya later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

My dad *always* buys himself presents before his birthday and before Christmas because he has zero patience and always wants instant gratification--so I feel your pain.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.