12.20.2004

Dropping a quick line

It's been a few days, so I thought I'd say hi.

I've been in a bad way lately. This all dates back to the caffeine misadventure, of course, which followed Thanksgiving.

So, the update.

Since the Thanksgiving after-math caffeine overdose, and the subsequent doctor visit, I've been kind of up and down in terms of how I feel. Occasional dizzy spells, fatigue, and most concerning, a feeling that my heart was skipping beats.

The first couple of symptoms are reminsiscent of my first bout with hypothyroidism, which leaves one feeling, well, dizzy and tired, as well as cold a lot of the time.

The last bit has been newer to me.

Anyway, things were going so-so until Wednesday afternoon, when I started feeling the dizzy and the heart thing again, and I started freaking out. My anxiety level was high, due to my on-going fear that the same premature heart disease that offed my dad, uncle, grandma, and grandpa has been gunning for me. I tried calling the Providence Hospital advice nurse, but she really didn't seem to be too concerned with what I was describing, and didn't seem to pick up on the fact that I was too concerned about what I was describing. I then called my doctor's office, and they kindly scheduled me an appointment for the following Tuesday.

Thursday, I called in sick and stayed in bed. Every time I got up to go to the bathroom, dizzy spells and palpitations would hit.

Friday, I tried to have some breakfast with work chums, in an attempt to free myself from bed and make it to work. I made it to breakfast, got halfway through my food, almost heaved, and went back home. I decided it was time to call my doctor again.

Strangely, after my description of what my last few days had been like, they demanded I come in and see them right away. And, so, I did.

Good news: I don't appear to be dying. The doctor said that the palpatations I've been feeling are more than likely normal-ish, but are such a problem for me because I'm over-sensitive to anything heart-related that I feel, and my anxiety is probably making my heart behave a little bit strangely.

Bad news: My anxiety level was clearly through the roof, and since the only way to get a handle on my physical issues was to get a handle on my anxiety, it was time for some serious meds.

So, as you read this, I'm getting fuzzy on my night-time dose of Xanax. I have to take it at night and in the morning, and it is making it incredibly difficult to type a whole sentence without having to delete something. Actually, that last sentence worked out okay. The one after that wasn't so great. The last one was a mess. And so on.

Saturday, my first day on the Xanax, I stayed in bed.

Sunday, I was able to do some gift shopping with my wife, although I ran into a couple of walls at the Gap and nearly knocked a fire extinguisher off of its holder.

Today, I made it to work. Wisely, I've timed my Xanax out so that I take it after my morning commute, which negates the danger that I could be if I took it right after waking up.

Today, I also got placed on a heart monitor for a month. The doctor thinks, and I agree, that although my heart issue appears to be nothing too serious, it doesn't hurt to cover all the bases.

Anyway, if you say prayers, I'm accepting them. If you think happy thoughts, that'd be fine, too, though I like prayers better.

Here's to hoping I feel better in time for my vacation.

Catch ya later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

Sorry to hear about your health scare. You definitely did the right thing to see a doctor and get set up with a heart monitor. I hope you'll be able to lay low the next few days. No more shopping for you!

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers coming in from my vicinity.

Hope you feel better soon.

Denise
And So It Goes

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.