2.14.2005

Trial parenthood

Well, as I reported last week, the wife and I are considering entering the dangerous world of parenthood.

Prior to doing so, we've decided to build our parenting skills the old-fashioned way, by taking on a pet.

We've been in pet negotiations for quite awhile. My wife has, for a long time, lusted for an English Bulldog. I've wanted something a little more spry, like a beagle or a dobie (had a dobie as a kid, and love the breed alot).

So, we compromised. She agreed to a dobie to start with, as long as I promised her that the second dog would be an English Bulldog.

We've been considering, for awhile, the timing of our purchase. Knowing pure-bred dobies cost upwards of $500, we've been thinking we should wait for our tax refund. But, not being certain how big that would actually be, we've also been looking around at humane shelters.

Happy to announce that, by next Monday, we should have one of the puppies below.


Aren't they cute? Posted by Hello

The pups are currently named Geri and Dobi. They're known at their shelter as the "Dobette Sisters" because they are about the same age and were abandoned/located at about the same time. They are Doberman mixes (unknown what mixed with), but they both look adorable.

Not telling you where they are until I secure one of them. Would hate for somebody to see them, swoop in, and get them before we do. Needless to say, it's a bit of a drive, and I'll be not-too-far from Denise's (of And So It Goes fame, linked at the right) friend TNT. So it requires a day off to drive there, and hopefully they'll still be available. I'm in the process of getting dibs on one of them today.

Currently soliciting for puppy names for a girl Doberman. I wanted "Poodle," but The Missus thinks that's dumb.

Gotta go.

Catch ya later.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

They're adorable! I would name her Pinky just because she looks cute in her pink collar.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are adorable. I bet they are a dobie/weimaraner mix. That is what they look like to me.

And mix breeds are the best anyways. Not quite as hyper as purebreds.

You could name her Poodle and call her P-dobie.

Or not.

Denise
And So It Goes

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not going to bob her ears, are you?

Denise
And So It Goes

12:17 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

No. The Missus initially wanted bobbed ears, but thinks these pups are cute with the floppy ears.

The doberman I had as a kid had floppy ears, so I've never wanted to bob them.

These dobies still have their tails, though (well, at least one of them does), and we might think about bobbing those (I'll get the opinion of the shelter staff before doing so). I remember when we got our dobie, his tail was already bobbed, and he was a wee baby. I don't want to do it if the shelter (or our vet) thinks it's too late to do it.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you getting both of them or just one?

I agree - I like the tail bobbed, but not the ears.

They are really cute.

Denise
And So It Goes

1:17 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Just one. One hitch: the shelter we're getting our dog from only reserves 24 hours in advance. So I have to call Friday to see if they still have one of them for me to go get on Saturday. Wish me luck.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK!

Hope you get her!

D
ASIG

2:17 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

OH NO! Keep your fingers crossed; just found out that Geri is gone and only Dobi is left!!!

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH NO!

Take a day off and GO GET YOUR DOG!

First rule of parenting: PTO is no longer for vacation, it is for emergencies involving your children.

You are flunking your first 'trial parenthood' test!!!!! ;)

Denise
And So It Goes

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.