5.04.2005

Kudos to DishNetwork and a cry for help

Kudos
After much haranguing by various people who have been promoting my entry into the TiVoverse, I finally got one last week. My chosen mode was to go through Dish Network, first because I have a buddy who hooked me up, and second because it's cheaper than cable.

So, last week I took flex-time to allow for installation. I was told to be home from noon-5pm. At 3, I was called to tell me they'd be there around 4. At 4, I was called to say they'd be there closer to 5:30. After that, no more calls. One problem: at 5:30, there was no technician, either.

In fact, noone showed up until 7pm, and then the installation took until 9pm. The Missus was unplussed, which of course meant that I had to be unplussed.

At her prompting, I registered a complaint the next day. A manager called me back and I explained the issues. Toward the end, I made clear that I expected some form of appeasement. Knowing that I was essentially asking for a buy-off, the manager asked me what I was seeking. I told him I'd like a free month of service. He said he'd see what he could do.

Five days later, I'd still not heard back, which uplussed me even more. I managed to track down the manager that I'd spoken to and left him an "I'm not feeling very appeased" message. A while later, the manager's manager called me back, and we had a very pleasant conversation. When he asked how things could be smoothed over, I offered up the same demand. He advised he'd see what he could do, and that he'd call me back no later than the next day.

As promised, he called me back. And, though I'm not surprised, I was pleased to see that they met my demand.

So, kudos for Dish Network for having a product that works (wonderfully) and also for working to keep their customers happy when something unplussing happens...

Cry For Help
Mother's Day is fast-approaching. My wife, a mother-to-be in November, is hoping for a nice little sumthin-sumthin. Anyone have any ideas? I need something more creative than the little bits my feeble mind can produce...

Catch ya later.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you know the month the baby is being born in you could always get her a mother's ring with the baby's birthstone in it (or earrings or pendant or whatever).

Also, if she likes to shop, a gift certificate to Motherhood is cool - maternity clothes may not seem the most romantic gift, but they will be needed.

OR - you could get her a massage or pedicure. Pedicures are really good and desired after the 6th month or so because you can't reach your own feet anymore.

Denise
And So It Goes

4:12 PM  
Blogger Betsy said...

Don't do the birthstone idea just yet. Babies have mysterious ways of being born in months other than the one they were due in (both of my kids accomplished this, actually.)

I'd say pedicure. Definitely.

Thankfully, you are not making the mistake my ex husband made when I was pregnant with his son on my first mother's day. When I hinted around, what did I hear back? "Uh..you're not my mother..."

He was quickly disabused of the notion that he'd given an acceptable answer - especially since the hormones were already running high...

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a digital picture frame with a picture of Turtle in it. Maybe saying something like: "turtle, turtle"

9:05 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Ladies and Gentlemen, the comic stylings of Mr. Schnacky. He'll be here all week. Remember to tip your waiter, and try the veal.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Jack Bog said...

A big gift certificate at the Barefoot Sage on Hawthorne. Serious foot care and general pampering.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Okay, I like Betsy and Jack's ideas the best so far (well, actually, Denise as amplified by Betsy).

So, tie-breaker to Betsy:

Pedicure? Or foot massage? (We're going on vacation, so I can't swing both).

1:29 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

After much behind-the-scenes discussion, Betsy sides with Jack.

Thanks, gang! You've probably saved me from years of ill-will and intestinal distress...

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.