5.02.2005

I can do it

I know I can.

Just a few more days until my vacation.

I'm circling the drain, here, folks. I need this time off like I need air.

I remember when time off wasn't necessary. When I first got married, I took a vacation for my honeymoon and learned, after returning, that vacations resulted in work stacking up. And, I found, I was often just as happy not to vacation, meaning not having to dig out of a pile of paper, as I was to go somewhere and spend money on food, lodging, etc, when all I was really paying for was the opportunity to work a few late nights after being done.

I'm noticing that my attitude towards time off is changing. I don't know if it's an age thing, or if I'm finally just coming to grips with reality. But now, I long for vacations. I long to go somewhere and spend inappropriate sums of cash for nothing more than an experience. I long to shut my mind off for a few days.

So, here I sit, looking forward to a few days away.

I also have noticed another change with my age. I now find myself, every day, looking at the obits in the paper. Why? Mostly to see if I know anyone. Usually don't, but there's an occasional surprise.

I'm only 31. God, I'm too young to be making that change.

Went and saw the latest assault by Ashton Kutcher on movie fans, "A Lot Like Love," this weekend. As ready as I was to hate it (I went because my wife was going and I honestly couldn't think of anything I'd rather do than just go hang out with her), but it ended up being a really cute film. Good date-night flick, if you're looking for something light and breezy and fun.

Currently on my list of films to watch:


  • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: After reading the book 40 times, I need to see the movie, even if I'm bound for disappointment
  • Be Cool: Can't believe I still haven't made it. But, judging from the lukewarm acceptance of it, it's probably better for Netflix-ing anyway
  • The Amityville Horror: I'm embarassed that I just typed that
  • Fever Pitch &/or Guess Who: Both date flicks my wife would like to see with me
  • Kung Fu Hustle: Except for the musical number at the beginning, what's not to like?
  • Revenge of the Sith: How could I not put this on my must-see list?

In fact, Star Wars merits its own space here on my blog(ue). So, here it is...

STAR WARS

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

These words have floated across movie and TV screens for a virtual millenia, causing hearts to flutter with delight at the thought of another slip into the fantastic world of Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, droids, and Darth Vader.

As a kid, I always thought SW was about Luke. Now, I'm learning through the forced perspective of revisionist Lucasism that the whole franchise is actually about Vader.

But, really, look back. The SW trilogy was about Luke. The SW pre-trilogy is about Vader. I am thinking that, as you look at the whole, the story is about hope, frustration, loss, and redemption.

JLowe, my greatest friend of all, is the ultimate SW goober. He's been giddy with excitement at the impending final SW film for months. He bought the book as soon as it went on sale so that he could ruin the surprise in his own mind. He's currently hosting a re-viewing of the previous five films, in order of release, at his home for the various ladies we know to get caught up (and, of course, for our re-enjoyment) as the new film approaches. He wants the whole legend to be fresh in our minds as we are assaulted by the final piece of the Lucas jigsaw puzzle.

As we watch, it is clear that Luke is the lynchpin of the first SW trilogy. Vader is a continuing presence, he is what drives Luke, but he's nothing more than the villain you know will take the fall. His emergence in the final film as Luke's savior-instead-of-victim is a shock. It is the only thing which might lead one to think that he's more important than he appears. But really, in watching those films, the story is one of the battle for Luke's soul, in the context of a galactic war.

Then you watch the pre-trilogy trilogy and learn that Lucas had more in mind. The story isn't about Luke alone. It's about Luke as the promised one. In the regrettable JarJar Binks-infested first episode, we learn that Anakin is perceived to be the promised one, who will bring balance to the force. The force, which consists of the good side, and the Dark Side. Of course, we're about to see Anakin get all dark and Vader-ish. And so, as we watch the evolution of the original trilogy, we see that Vader doesn't really bring balance directly. The balance comes from his inability to detach.

Jedi have the nasty requirement of being monkish in their detachment. They are all master-servant. They don't really have friendship with eachother. You can see Anakin's struggle with this aspect of the good side of the force. He wants relationship, which strangely is forbidden by the goodies.

The desire for relationship drives him to rebellion, and that pushes him to evil (the whole fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering bit). And so we see that he cannot straddle the fence.

But, in falling off the wagon, he creates progeny that do. Luke and Leia. Luke learns that you can act out of relationship without going all bad. And that is the balance. Vader brought about balance only by creating and driving Luke. Luke fulfilled balance by being a Jedi with a heart.

Whatever. This is stupid. I think I'll just watch the movie and root for the bad guys.

Enough babbling. Need to eat lunch. Catch ya later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sloop said...

I'm so excited for Episode III, it's embarrassing. I had a dream the other night that I went to watch Eppy 3 in the theater. I felt so pathetic when I woke up. I can't even dream that I'm Darth Vader or Luke, I have to dream that I'm watching them on-screen. What sense does that make? Wouldn't a more vibrant imagination put me in the middle of the action? Yes. Yes, it would. But I don't have a vibrant dreamy imagination.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw kung fu hustle and it was great.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.