5.06.2005

Travel-Blog, Day 1

Well, today is the day of departure on what will end up being a trip covering over 3,500 hundred miles, 156 gallons of fuel, and many, many hours cooped up in a Honda Element. Good times, good times.

The trip began at about 7:30 pm, when JLowe and Lady Lowe finally made it to Chez Pieman to gather us for departure. Having already conned my mom into watching poor Ollie for a week while I galavanted about the western states, we quickly packed the car (which, whenever referred to throughout this blog, means “we packed our stuff, put it by the car, and walked away slowly as JLowe intensely began piecing together his magic space-saving puzzle”) and got on our way.

I got the first shift of driving, which took us from beautiful Portland, Oregon to just south of the California border. Notable activities during this part of our journey was our stop in Salem at Taco Bell. Why Taco Bell? Strangely, because Lady Lowe was not in the mood for greasy food. I grew up believing that Taco Bell qualified as such. Apparently, my perception is skewed.

Anyway, like Joe Pesci says in Lethal Weapon 3, the f you in the drive through, and this case was no different. I managed to come away one bean burrito short, which was probably for the best.

On the topic of Taco Bell, what’s the deal with the whole “if we don’t offer you a drink, you get one for free” thing? I’ve been to Taco Bell twice in the last 3 weeks and not been offered a drink, and both times felt too badly about the people at the counter to actually take advantage of the offer when they fell short on their duties. Is this deal actually making money for them?

Anyway, at 1:30 we hit a rest area (one of surprisingly few that we’d end up seeing outside of Oregon) and I ceded driving duties to JLowe, who got us most of the way through the wasteland of northern California. And then I slipped into the arms of Morpheus…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.