2.17.2005

The miracle of flex-time

As a responsible employee, I don't like to blog during work hours. I've been known to write during lunch breaks, but I try to keep that to a minimum as well.

So why am I writing at 2:35 pm? The miracle of flex-time, my friends.

As I've explained in the past, I'm in a unique position in my office where my hours flex for various reasons. Today, they are flexing for meetings this evening until 9pm.

And, so, today work began at 10:30, and after doing an in-service training for some officers at GPD, I'm electing to use my late lunch to blog, because I'm sickly.

The trial of the dogs
Just so you know, at this point one of the cute dobies pictured below is still left, and I'm banking on her still being around tomorrow. If she is there tomorrow, I can place a hold on her and go get her on Saturday. Thankfully, my chum JLowe has agreed to road-trip with me, as the drive is rather long and my wife is working. If all goes well, I'll be a dog owner Saturday afternoon. If not, there are some dobies in the local paper that are a bit more expensive.

Abusing PTO
Denise, one of my blog-buddies, saw my panicked comment on the dobie post about how one of the Dobette Sisters had been scooped up, and encouraged me to take a sick-day to fetch the remaining pup. You'll be happy to know that I did take a sick day yesterday, but only because I was actually sick. No offense to Denise, but I can't morally support using sick time for prospective family members. Until the dog is in my evil clutches, it isn't actually family.

What did I do with my sick day? Well, I slept in, then watched eight episodes of Angel, season 5, which are finally out on Netflix. Hmm, that reminds me of my...

TV Addiction
Recently, I compiled my list of shows worth watching. My list has been amended somewhat.
  • Monday: Never watch anymore. The wife has abandoned the WB's lame offerings, which is a relief to me.
  • Tuesday: I still find only Scrubs to be watchable, but I always seem to miss it.
  • Wednesday: Formerly only watchable for Smallville and the occasional Law and Order, my wife and I decided that Alias looked too intriguing to pass up any longer. So, we've spent the last month watching Alias seasons 1-3, and are now finally caught up. Aside from the fact that our VCR totally botched the recording of Alias (and Desperate Housewives) while we were out of town, I look forward to being mostly current in the next few days.
  • Thursday: The O.C. reigns supreme, thanks to the on-going hijinx of Seth Cohen. E.R. is fading fast, and is really only an option if I'm not sleepy. Since I'm feeling sickly, I'll give it a pass tonight. Oh, and that new show on NBC, Committed, has some potential...
  • Friday: Still one of the best nights not to be home.
  • Saturday: Here's a poll question for you: is SNL worth staying up late for anymore? Although there are occasional moments, and I have a school-boy crush on Tina Fey, is this show beating a dead horse? Discuss.
  • Sunday: Great TV. Desperate Housewives continues to be fantastic, and (when I'm able to stay awake) Boston Legal is still good, too. Although I don't know how I feel about bringing in Murphy Brown to mess with Captain Kirk's head.

That's it; I'm spent. Pray for my tummy, which has been off all week, and pray for my prospective puppy, while you're at it.

Catch ya later.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I said PTO - not sick leave. Let's not make me out to be totally irresponsible.

Lynn and I used to be loyal watchers of SNL, but I wouldn't watch it now if you paid me. Especially since they are having musical guests like Ashley Simpson. What-ev-ver. I can sing better than that scary little teen AND my nose is smaller.

claws retractingI hardly watch any TV at all anymore. I did watch most of The Grammy's and besides the fact that it made me feel ANCIENT I am glad I did. Queen Latifa can sing jazz? Who knew? Alicia Keys was great, too. I was pretty surprised that one of the opening bands was actually time-warped from 1985 New Wave Magazine (or could have been), but I digress...

Pray for tummy - check.
Pray for puppy - check.

Feel better and have fun road-trippin'.

Denise
And So It Goes

4:11 PM  
Blogger Betsy said...

You know, you listed 4 (or maybe 5) reasons why you really need TiVo, just in one post alone.

See, I'd get TiVo before I'd get a dog...

But! Hey! Think about this:
-- Buy a dog, name her TiVo
-- Write the TiVo people a cute yet suck-uppy letter (hey, it's been done before - they had essay contests way back when and awarded the best ones TiVos) asking for a TiVo for your TiVo.

Make sure you lay it on thick that you took the money you'd otherwise have spent on the TiVo to adopt a poor homeless dog.

Voila!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Betsy.

If you get a dog, you will need a tivo.

I have three dogs and I have two tivos. I have the kind with the free basic service.

Good luck with Pinky :)

7:48 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Praying for your tummy--that made me laugh. I hope everyone's prayers were answered and the tummy is now back in top form.

Good luck with the puppy. They sure are cute.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.