3.26.2005

This just in

Thanks to the Drudge Report for a link to this article discussing the growing number of Germans who want the Berlin Wall back. Well, actually, that's a mis-statement. In fact, nowhere in this article do we learn if the number of people who feel this way is growing, increasing, or remaining the same. We don't know the age of respondents, so we don't know if it's just a bunch of old fogies decrying the loss of their cultural touchstone, or what's going on.

Amusing, though, are the sentiments that the Germans held towards their east/west counterparts. According to the article, "the poll found that 47 percent of the easterners agree with the statement that the West 'acquired the east like a colony,' while 58 percent of the westerners back the statement that 'easterners tend to wallow in self-pity.'"

I liken it to feelings that Portlanders from various parts of the city share about eachother. My friend BT, who lives on the west side, hates venturing east because he's sure he'll get capped by some thug as soon as he crosses the Marquam Bridge. I, meanwhile, being an east-sider, hate everything on the west side (except Multnomah Village), and my hatred grows the closer you get to Beaverton, because as you get farther west, it grows increasingly difficult not to get lost in some neighborhood, until you hit Beaverton, town of cul-de-sacs, where I'm convinced you don't get to leave a particular neighborhood until you in fact drop a tax bracket.

And I remember working at Clackamas Town Center in college and marvelling at the difference between your typical east-Portlander, who had the whole urban grunge thing going, and your typical Clackamite, with belt buckle and boots to match.

And the Clackamas area is mostly urban. I've never understood the urban cowboy thing, and I'm sure I never will.

Anyway, it's Saturday, and I'm at work for a bit, and I wish I wasn't. But it's better to get some work done now, when I have time, then to try to find time later.

To all who may see this, happy Easter-eve.

Catch ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.