3.29.2005

Gotta run, no time for fun

I was planning on having a ton of time to write something insightful on some deep topic tonight, but (thankfully) my wife ended up getting home from work early and wants to have a tasty dinner. As such, I don't have the time to write anything really long now, as I sit in my office preparing to head home, and I know for certain my dog, still too exciteable to grant me much free time, will not allow me the time for deep blogging.

And so, something fast and empty, much like so many of my most recent blogging.

It is certainly true that sometimes the well is deeper than others. The last month has found me committed to checking in, but not with much to say. I tend to have more interesting stuff to say in my comments on other blogs than I do here, which saddens me.

Indeed, despite the heavy rains, I'm still suffering a drought, wanting for anything really worthwhile to write about.

And I can tell I'm not interesting. The hits are dropping, and I think for Denise's sake, I need to be uninteresting while she's off on her wedding holiday, so she can get her much-sought 5000th hit on my blog. (So, while we're on the topic, swing by and congratulate her -- soon, she'll be DNT, as opposed to her current initials of DD).

Which is not to say that I live entirely for the numbers my blog generates. I still suffer the same existential quandries I've always had about why I blog, what my blog means in the world, and whether it would be better just to stop blogging and shut the hell up. However, as I've currently decided to continue prattling on into the wind, it is gratifying to see that people are checking (and re-checking) me out, as if what I have to say about anything might mean something to them. It's even better to see comments.

My wife is astounded, by the way, by the whole notion of comments. She read my blog recently, and wondered at the fact that complete strangers comment on other people's stuff. And, when you think about it, that is an interesting aspect in the blogosphere. We're all strangers, yet we're all drawn to each other's writing and feel a need to put our two cents in.

As I read blogs I like, I wonder if they're written by people I'd actually ever hang out with in real life. While I know some of the bloggers I point to, some of them I only know by their writing, and writing isn't the best way to learn about someone, because writers have the luxury of taking time to craft what they're saying so that it is widely digestible and comes off as intelligent (although, the fact that so many people just spew a bunch of crap and hit send, without really having any insights into anything, tells me enough about them to not care if they'd be fun to talk to at a bar).

That said, I'm not really all that eager to meet any of my blog-buddies. I mean, I wouldn't avoid them if I knew them. If I saw a person who looked like Denise, I wouldn't shun them. I saw a person who reminded me of Betsy at the bank last week (granted, I've only seen this picture of her) with a young man learning how to deposit money in a checking account (thought for sure he was The Mogul), and I was ripped with a desire to ask if it was her, although at the same time I realized how outlandish that sort of question might be (I ultimately abandoned the thought as I imagine her to be more of a NE Portland person, while I was in SE). But I'm not the guy who is dying to set up a local bloggers meet-up. The fact is, I'm not sure I want to know people as more than the sum of what they write. As far as you all know from my writing, I might seem funny and deep. Some people who know me might suggest I'm just a crass a-hole. I'd hate to pop the bubble I have imagining how cool all these other people are. I'd rather just admire them from a distance, and let the illusion live.

Whatever. This is taking too long. The Missus just called and ok'd a run to the gym, so I need to get there before dinner gets too late. Besides, not too sure anything I wrote above was even coherent.

Catch ya later.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked your post. I'm not a blogger - don't even know how it's done, really - but I regularly read quite a few, including yours. I've never commented on one; possibly uncomfortable about losing my anonymity? Not even sure what's prompting this comment, except that so many of the blogs I read seem to be written for, and read by, an "inner circle," of which I am not a part. So, while I may be helping with someone's blog numbers by showing up each day, I still feel very much like an outsider; maybe even a voyeur of sorts. Your post today made me feel that perhaps that circle isn't as tight as I'd imagined, and my visits maybe not as intrusive, either. Rambling now. Maybe that's the real reason I don't comment, eh?

9:53 AM  
Blogger Betsy said...

No, it wasn't me! But I would hope that if you figured out it was me that you'd have at least said hello.

I don't bite - no matter how scary I might look in that picture!

I've met other bloggers before - Denise, for one. Scott, for another. And a couple more I won't name, just in case they don't want to be outed. But then again, I made a deal out of spending the weekend with a fellow blogger I'd never met in person before - someone who flew from a long way away to meet me, no less - so that might give you a clue as to how adventurous I am on this front!

I've also been to a blogger meet here in PDX (hey, there's another one this Friday night!)

As far as an inner circle? It often seems that way - but many bloggers (myself included) do our best to make commenters feel at home (either by sending private email in response or by commenting on the site itself.) And that's how the circle widens, actually...

11:32 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

You're way too hard on yourself, Pieman. Just write what is true for you and don't worry whether other people will find it interesting. I know that may be easier said than done, but I'm always constantly surprised at what people seem to find commentworthy in my posts.

Also, check this sort of Blogging for Dummies post: http://tvindy.typepad.com/tvindy/2005/03/how_to_blog.html

12:58 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Sometimes I hit "Login and Publish" a bit too fast. It occurred to me that you might take offense at my pointing you toward that Blogging for Dummies link (which is how I've been thinking of it in my head, but is not actually what it's called). It's not that I think you (or anyone) needs remedial blogging help, but I just thought you'd find it interesting to check out how some people think it should be done. I have to say that while I agree with some of what is said like,

"dont be afraid if you think something has been said before. it has. and better. big whoop. say it anyway using your own words as honestly as you can. just let it out."

but not so much with some of the other points--like writing once or twice every day. Sheesh! Who has time for that?

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...I don't craft my entries as you can tell by the numerous spelling and gramatical errors that plague my blog.

I don't agree - I think that meeting bloggers can be good. I've met Betsy and Scott (like Betsy said) and although we are not peas in a pod, I have a great time talking with them. They even came to Woo F'n Boo and met a whole bunch of my other friends.

It saddens me that you wouldn't want to come to a happy hour and meet me and TNT, or to a hockey game next season (since I totally didn't get anything set up for this season) - but maybe you'll change your mind by then.

AND I figure that is there is beer/alcohol available then there is bound to be fun sooner or later.

BUT, that said, I do enjoy reading your entries and I love your comments. I would be saddened even further if you quit.

Sincerely, the blogger you wouldn't shun but don't want to meet because you're afraid I'm really not cool,

Denise
And So It Goes

p.s. I really am cool, especially after a couple of Guinness - just ask TNT.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Oregon/Portland, speaks English and Spanish. Eye color is hazel. I am a god. I am also cynical. My interests are PS2/X-Box.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Oregon, Portland, Lawyer, Stupid Humor.